Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facebook Video Link- may be KOOBFACE- can't kill it

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 kalo

kalo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:37 PM

Hi- my son, in his life on FaceBook clicked a video link that infected the machine with a WORM that sounds a lot like KOOBFACE-it hijacked and reposted itself on my my daughters FaceBook account from the same computer, which is how we discovered it.

BEHAVIOUR
Now searches on the browser are being redirected to other sites.
AVG is prevented from doing updates.
I can search for links to assistance tools but if I click on the search results I get redirected to another site.

I did get MBAM onto the machine, and it killed a bunch of tracking cookies, but it didn't report any more serious virus or WORM.
Same thing with AdAware- it killed more tracking cookies but nothing else.

WIN XP SP3 on a Lenovo R51 Laptop

How should I proceed?
I have been opening a REMOTE DESKTOP Window and copying install files and updates form the remote computer- can the worm spread over the Remote Desktop link and compromise the other machine?

Thanks
K

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users