Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Dell

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lorabrown

lorabrown

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:17 PM

Hating Dell right now, can't break through their outsourced customer service department to find someone to help me return a part for a refund to be credited back to my card.
Thought someone here might have some advice for navigating the bureaucracy there.
Yes, I know, I have purchase probably nine different systems from them in past six years, some mine, or others in my husband's small office, and most of these are still functioning just fine for our needs.
So I go online to upgrade to a larger hardrive, order the part from Dell.com as per their recommendation, as they have my desktop system specs maintained in my account there. The part comes, I can't figure out why I can't seem to install it myself, end up taking my computer to a repair place I trust, they tell me it is completely the wrong drive, and completely incompatable with my system (IDE, etc.).
I buy one from them, pay them to install it. EMail dell to return this one that doesn't fit, and they repeatedly tell me I am outside my 21 day window for a return. It has been about 60 days since the order, and we're talking $56, not like a huge thing I am asking. PLus I have all the original packaging materials, etc, the part is untouched!
Any of you have any good advice for me? I am dying here, and lost my one time personal business sales rep some time ago. THanks, Lora Brown

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:56 AM

Personal experience is to be persistent, as well as honest. And, it never hurts to keep using the words "escalate my case" and "talk to a supervisor."

Very simply mention that:
- you are a business who has been buying for them for 6 years
- how much you have spent on their product (if 5 figures, or more, I'd guess would have an impact)
- your gave your system details and they sent you a drive
- you do not know comps, and didn't understand why it didn't work
- support did not help identify why your drive could not be installed correctly
- had to contract a second person to identify that Dell had sent you the wrong parts
- how disappointed you've been with their service despite your loyalty

It's a mouthful, but be patient, be diplomatic and (most importantly) be insistent about talking to a supervisor, escalating the case, perhaps talking to someone "locally" instead.

But you need to keep reminding them, very firmly that they made the original mistake and that they did not help you correct that mistake inside THEIR return window. This is their fault for sending you the wrong part, and not identifying/correcting it when you called back during the return window.

Don't give up!

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:25 PM

If you have contacted them and have your case number (or reference number) try the 'Unresolved Issues' form here:
https://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...p;s=gen&cs=

If you do not have a case number, give them another call. If they continue to give you the run-around, just ask for the case number and then file the above form. 'Unresolved issues' is usually pretty responsive.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:52 PM

Few little helpful hints when dealing with Customer Service Reps, Debt Collectors, etc.
1)Be nice, calm, and collected, never loose your temper with these people
2)Get the persons full name, write it down
3)When the person becomes unresponsive ("It will take some time", "I am not authorized to do that", etc) ask to speak with their supervisor,
4)If they tell you that person is unavailable, ask for the direct # to the supervisors office, call them
5) Repeat steps 2-4 until your issue is resolved.

Posted Image

#5 lorabrown

lorabrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:56 PM

All great advice, I won't give up. thanks.

#6 lorabrown

lorabrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for great advice, it finally worked.

#7 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:51 PM

Congrats! Always good to hear a victory for the little guy (gal)!

:thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users