Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC freezes after start up except for mouse

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 crazycows

crazycows

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:17 AM

Hi there,

I am new to posting, but I've used loads of previous posts to solve some of my problems in the past.

Just got back from holiday, pc was turned off at the wall for 10 days, and now when I try to start it up it boots up and everything. Even seems to start up some of the antivirus programmes I have (eg nod32), but after a few minutes it freezes all programmes, and wont do anything. The mouse still moves and the keyboard still seems to be responsive to numlock, but nothing loads. It gave me enough time to start a registry booster scan (uniblue), but that froze too, and the scan wasnt able to complete.

I've tried to start it in safe mode to complete the spyware/virus/registry scans, which dont seem to have picked anything up. Problem is that I cant access the internet in safemode and so I cant run any other links etc from the internet.
The other problem is that the uniblue Registry booster scan in normal mode (before freezing had picked up 22 problems, but in safe mode it says that the registry booster isnt installed, and because i cant access the internet in safe mode i cant download it). Is it normal not to be able to connect to the internet in safe mode? I've plugged my internet into my laptop, so its not a connection problem.

About a month ago my pc sounded like it was about to take off like a jumbo jet, so i read up about it here and cleaned the fans (there was LOADS of dirt), afterwhich its been quite as a church mouse or whatever the saying is.
I also replaced the ram from 512mb to my max of 2GB, and it has been working fine since then, but now its ... not.

I'm not sure what other information would be helpful, except that I'm running windows xp and the pc is about 4 years old.

I'd be really grateful if anyone might be able to help??

Thanks!
C

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:32 AM

<<Problem is that I cant access the internet in safemode and so I cant run any other links etc from the internet.>>

You have the safe mode option...but not "safe mode with networking"?

Louis

#3 crazycows

crazycows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:21 PM

Hi Louis,

I started in Safe mode with networking and can now access the internet in safe mode (thanks - shows what a novice i really am).

I ran the registry booster and it fixed 303 of 306 problems. When I start it up in normal mode it is still freezing though.

The 3 registry entries not fixed are :
1 x invalid shortcut
2 x invalid driver paths (system32/drivers/pxhelp20.sys and system32/drivers/coachusb.sys)

I'm not sure if these would have anything to do with the freezing problem?

C

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:33 PM

Pxhelp20.sys seems to be a driver for audio software you have installed, http://www.file.net/process/pxhelp20.sys.html and I would guess that the software is corrupted/damaged. I would uninstall it and see if the problem occurs. If not, then you can try reinstalling it.

Coachusb.sys appears to be a driver for a digicam. Ditto about uninstalling the software.

Louis

#5 crazycows

crazycows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:29 AM

So I uninstalled the webcam, and dont seem to have installed any of the programmes associated with the pxheps20.sys from the list.

I've also deleted non-essential programmes where possible, and unplugged my usb devices, re-run the registry booster and now have 5 driver problems:

- pxhelp20.sys
- sptd.sys
- ALCXWDM.SYS
- coachusb.sys
- giveio.sys

I seem to be doing more harm than good at the moment. :thumbsup:

#6 crazycows

crazycows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:59 AM

Ok, so I managed to quarantine all of those files/driver problems using security task manager, and now my pc seems to be in a rebooting loop.

It wont let me load it up in safe mode, safe mode with networking, normal mode, last known working configuration.

Everytime i try to, it just reboots, so now i cant even get in??!!
What should I do? Do i need to get a new pc? Should I take it to a pc doctor?

Please help?

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:38 AM

We need to understand what "rebooting" means to you.

Rebooting usually means the computer restarts with a beep and the you would see Windows loading again (the progress bar across the bottom) and then returns to a login screen.

When the login process is initiated in any mode, does the system go through a motion of logging in and then return you to the login screen or does it look like it reboots and loads Windows from the beginning

Not being able to get past the login screen is a fairly common malware symptom where the malware has been removed by your scanners, but lingering traces need to be removed by hand.

Can you provide a few more descriptors?

Sooner or later, you may need to boot into the Windows Recovery Console which requires a bootable XP installation CD which is not the same as a "recovery" CD(s) from your hardware manufacturer (Dell, Compaq, etc.). If you do not have a bootable XP installation CD, we can make a Bootable Recovery Console CD.

I would lay off the Registry Booster thing for the moment.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#8 crazycows

crazycows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:34 AM

Hi thanks for the reply.
Rebooting:

I see the
1.Phillips screen
2.verifying dmi pool data screen
3. Asks about normal or safe mode
4. If I choose normal mode I go to the windows screen with progress bar
5. Safe modes take me straight back to the Phillips screen without seeing the windows screen

(after 4. There is another screen but it's so fast that I don't know what it says)

I don't have any windows disks because the pc came with it preloaded.

Thanks for trying to help!!!

#9 crazycows

crazycows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:37 AM

Sorry I didn't make it clear, if I choose normal mode, after the windows screen, the brief screen
then it goes back to the Phillips screen and runs from 1 to 4 continuously until I switch it off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users