Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BETA Testers Needed - Oops! Backup Product

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 vellad

vellad

Authorized Altaro Representative

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:46 AM

Hey All :thumbsup:

We are a new software company (Altaro Software) and we are developing a backup / version control product called Oops! Backup. Oops! Backup is a hybrid between a traditional software backup product and a lightweight version control system. Oops! Backup automatically tracks changes to documents, photos and other files and allows you to backtrack to any point in time. To a certain extent it is a Time Machine for Windows - we did get influenced by it.

We will be going into BETA in about 3 weeks time and are looking for BETA testers - anyone willing to give it a try fill in the form here. We will obviously give a free license for the BETA testers that download and test the product. The license obviously will never expire :flowers:

Oops! Backup has a great graphical interface to go back in time and restore files You can see the backup product screenshots here.

The backup software product features here.

Your opinions and constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated (would love to hear the bad stuff ... more than the good stuff).

Please note that anyone testing the BETA version will be testing a BETA product. This means that the product is at a stage were we think that it has no bugs however we are still not 100% convinced - i.e. there is a possibility that it WILL have some bugs - but probably small ones in the user interface. Once the BETA period finishes we will then release the product in full - and the BETA testers that download and install will get their free license key.

Before sending this I asked the site admins and they allowed me to post :trumpet:

David Vella - david@altaro.com
Oops! Backup from Altaro Software

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:49 AM

I have given permission for this topic to be created. The product looks interesting and anyone interesting in a new backup software may want to take a look at it.

David, I assume any questions or issues that arise from using this product can be posted here?

#3 vellad

vellad

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:03 PM

I have given permission for this topic to be created. The product looks interesting and anyone interesting in a new backup software may want to take a look at it.

David, I assume any questions or issues that arise from using this product can be posted here?

Hi Lawrence - Thanks for this.

Yes I will be following this thread to answer any queries - whatever the queries :thumbsup:

David Vella

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:03 PM

Thanks David I sent the submission.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 vellad

vellad

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:43 AM

Thanks David I sent the submission.

Thank you :thumbsup:

#6 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:46 AM

Hi David,

How much time is there for betatesting Oops! Backup?

Is there more you expect from betatesters = users, than 'play' with the software and report bugs/findings?

Edited by Falu, 10 September 2009 - 04:47 AM.

#7 vellad

vellad

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:04 AM

Hi David,

How much time is there for betatesting Oops! Backup?

Is there more you expect from betatesters = users, than 'play' with the software and report bugs/findings?

Hi Falu,

Probably 3 weeks of using the software would be enough. All we would need the BETA testers to do is to effectively 'play' with the software - actually use it.

David

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:12 AM

It does, sound like an interesting program.
Just signed up.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 vellad

vellad

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:55 AM

It does, sound like an interesting program.
Just signed up.

Excellent - look forward to your feedback:)

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:24 AM

David, any idea when the beta will start?

#11 vellad

vellad

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:19 AM

David, any idea when the beta will start?

Hi Grinler ... we expect the BETA in the first week of October.

#12 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:34 AM

Hi vellad,

Did sign up to betatest Oops!! but haven't heard from you since. First week of October will be ..... later?

Thanks.

#13 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:59 AM

ooops!

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#14 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:20 AM

Checked their website and it advises they had all the testers they need.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#15 vellad

vellad

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

Hi,

I am sorry - unfortunately we had a little setback and wanted to fix some issues we discovered. We are very close and we are on plan for first week November.

I am really sorry for this - please be patient with us !

As rigel said - we had an Oops! moment ourselves - but all for the better :thumbsup:

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users