Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft XPS Document Writer?.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:35 AM

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what this program is and why it is installed on my PC?. My OS is Windows XP Home Edition SP3 and up to date. I have a Epson Stylus D78 printer which is adequate for my needs and for the first time in about a week went to print something this morning. The little print box appeared on screen but was immediately superceded by a pop up in regard to saving as an .xps file. I tried a couple of times but could not get it to print. I went to Control Panel>Printers and Faxes and saw that as well as the printer icon for my Epson there was another printer icon called Microsoft XPS Document Writer which had a black check mark above it. I right clicked on the Epson icon intending to troubleshoot it but saw an option to make this printer the default, I checked it and immediately the black check mark moved over to the Epson icon. I exited and tried again to print my document and this time of course it worked ok.

I may be wrong but I cannot remember seeing the XPS Doc writer icon before today. I googled it and it is a genuine Microsoft program available for download. I have never downloaded it so it must have installed as part of some MSN update or such. Can anyone put some light on this and why it could install on my PC as a default program without my knowing about it?. Do I need it, is it safe to uninstall it or is it better to just leave it alone?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:44 AM

I believe it came with an update
Interesting reading
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...063c231033.mspx
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:46 PM

Thanks Garmanma,
I think it installed as a part of MSXML 6 Service Pack2. I read the link but as I use Open Office for my text pages not too sure if it is any use to me.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users