Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

network and internet DEAD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 obscurant1st

obscurant1st

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:42 AM

Recently my computer became infected. So did a disinfection using some ttols.
but after this disinfection i'm not able to browse internet.
The sent and received packets are just zero.
Also In my services.msc the DHCP client is not runnning.Whenven i try to start it it says dependencies are not started or something like that.
So i checked what is the problem and were able to find out that AFD service is causing problem.
Whatever i do i cannot start that service.
i tried SFC tool n even tried manually replacing the files by using the EXPAND command in CMD.

then
I tried by going to device manager-> show hidden devices -> then Non plug n play drivers n then AFD,
in that i tried to start that service but its showing system cannot find the file,
so i did a check in ImagePath of AFD in
n found
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AFD

\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\afd.sys

almost all registry entries related to AFD are the same when compared with one of my another system.

Also i tried WinSock Repair
LSP repair
etc etc
Atlast i even tried TCPIP reinstall.
still i cannot figure out whats wrong..

Can somebody help me on whats going on..
oh forgot to mention i tried CHKDSK /F /R C: also.
it didnt find any errors..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:08 AM

I find varying info on such, http://www.file.net/process/afd.sys.html and...while I do have several copies of afd.sys on my system (136KB), in proper paths, I don't see a related service running on either of my two systems. I have no connection problems.

Paths include each SP package.

I checked the DHCP service and it does list this service as a dependency..but I reflect no service :thumbsup:, nor is it reflected as a protocol enabled (unlike NetBIOS and TCP/IP) under Properties for the connection.

Is your system current with critical updates?

I would try setting the connection up anew, assuming file corruption.

Louis

#3 obscurant1st

obscurant1st
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:26 PM

I find varying info on such, http://www.file.net/process/afd.sys.html and...while I do have several copies of afd.sys on my system (136KB), in proper paths, I don't see a related service running on either of my two systems. I have no connection problems.

Paths include each SP package.

I checked the DHCP service and it does list this service as a dependency..but I reflect no service :thumbsup:, nor is it reflected as a protocol enabled (unlike NetBIOS and TCP/IP) under Properties for the connection.

Is your system current with critical updates?

I would try setting the connection up anew, assuming file corruption.

Louis

try setting the connection up a new means?
setting up the new system, by formatting or???

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:28 AM

It means...delete the connection existing under Control Panel/Network Connections.

Set up the connection by using the XP Network Connection Wizard, http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...w.mspx?mfr=true.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users