Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get GMER to Work - Why!?!?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gonwk

gonwk

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:55 PM

Hi folks,

FYI ... my laptop is Gateway M-6862 with Vista Home Premuim, SP1, 64-Bit. And I have all the Updates installed as per Microsoft suggestion.

I have downloaded the latest "GMER RootKit Remover 1.0.15.15077" and tried running it and I get the following error ...

"C:\Windows\system32\config\system: The system cannot find the file specified."

But it won't tell me what file is trying to locate!!!

Since I can not attach a jpg ... I have to tell you that I can ONLY see "Services" "Registry" and "Files" on the Right-hand side of GMER program Highlighted ... the Rest of the Options are GREYed out ... so they are not Available!!!

So, I think GMER it does not initialize correctly and it will not allow the "Normal" options to be available.

Q: Can anyone please tell me how to get GMER work properly?

Thanks,

G! :thumbsup:
Totally a Newbie, Eager to Learn!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:25 PM

Are you sure GMER can work in 64-bit?
Did you download the correct version (I haven't seen a 64-bit version now that I think about it)
The drivers might be different from 32-bit. I'm sure they are in XP. Don't know about Vista.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 46,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:48 AM

GMER runs on Windows NT/W2K/XP/VISTA

http://www.gmer.net/

Anti-malware tools and scanners have problems enumerating the drivers and services on 64-bit machines. WOW64 is the x86 emulator that allows 32-bit Windows-based applications to run on 64-bit Windows but x86 applications are re-directed to the x86 \syswow64 when seeking the x64 \system32.

Any time a 32-bit process attempts to access c:\windows\system32 the WoW64 layer redirects it into c:\windows\syswow64 which contains all of the 32-bit Windows binaries. This prevents a 32-bit process from trying to load a 64-bit binary. Any scripts or tools running in a 32-bit process that is referencing this directory will be automatically redirected to the syswow64 directory.

Making the Move to x64: File System Redirection

What problems are you having that you need to use GMER?

GMER is a stand-alone tool that will help investigate for the presence of rootkits. It will not actually tell you if you are infected or not unless you know what you're looking for.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2015 MVP.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click Donate.gif

#4 gonwk

gonwk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:14 PM

Hi QuietMan,

First of all sorry about replying kind of late ... had some family emergencies.

QuietMan ... I just posted my FIX that I found to my Original problem ... which it was Explorer.exe*32 in Windows Task Manager would show that is running at 50% plus all the time for now reason. And in my search on the internet ... everyone was suggesting that those PCs with that problem must indicate that you have a Virus of somekind.

Well, I ran MBAM and SAS in "Safe Mode with Netwrking" as suggested and they both came back clean ... so I was trying to run GMER to catch any Rootkits ... assuming that would Fix my delimma / problem.

It would be great if the GMER Author would consider writing a 64-Bit version for folks like me.

THANKS a bunch for Your Help and Informative Post!

G! :thumbsup:
Totally a Newbie, Eager to Learn!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users