Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IExplorer.exe*32 causing my CPU to Run at 50% Plus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gonwk

gonwk

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:43 PM

Hi folks,

FYI ... my laptop is Gateway M-6862 with Vista Home Premuim, SP1, 64-Bit. And I have all the Updates installed as per Microsoft suggestion.

I believe about 2 or 3 weeks ago when Microsoft pushed down one of their Screwed up Updates ... has caused my problem. Unfortunately somehow my Restore Points have been deleted and I only can go back 2 or 3 days and not several weeks back.

Since then anytime I have Explorer open ... even one instance ... my CPU jumps to 50% and stays there ... if I happen to open up 2 instances of Explorer the CPU just goes crazier ...

I open Winodws Task Manager and I see "IExplorer.exe*32" going at 50% plus. The only way I can stop this crap is to shut down my Explorer and Re-Boot and restart my laptop ... just so I can start this routine over and over.

I have searched the Internet for couple of days ... and as usual ... everyone right off the back suggests that might be a Virus Infection ... which I doubt I am infected.

But I took those suggestion and here is what I have done so far ...

1. I ran latest MBAM (Malwarebytes) in "Safe Mode with Networking" and I was clean!

2. I also ran latest SAS (SuperAntiSpyware) in the "Safe Mode" ... clean again.

3. I ran Anti-Rootkit programs: F-Secure Blacklight, Sophos 1.5 in Regular Windows mode and again Clean.

4. I tried to run "GMER RootKit Remover 1.0.15.15077" but I get Error that program does not start correctly (which I have posted a separate Thread for this problem). But basically I get the following ERROR when I try to run it ... "C:\Windows\system32\config\system: The system cannot find the file specified."

But it won't tell me what FILE is looking for!?!?

Anyway ...

Q: Can anyone tell me how to fix this 50% CPU problem due to IExplorer.exe?

Thanks,

G! :huh:
Totally a Newbie, Eager to Learn!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:15 PM

Have you tried running IE without addons? Right-click on desktop IE icon, select Start without addons.
Also have you tried running the 64 bit version of IE. You can find it in Start Menu > Programs section.

#3 gonwk

gonwk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:04 PM

Hi Romeo29,

Sorry that I have not posted my FIX any sooner, been super busy with family emergencies.

As a reminder I am running Vista Home Premium, SP1, 64-Bit, and IE7.

The problem is really with EXPLORER.EXE of the Windows and not the Internet Explorer. Because when you right-click on the Explorer.exe when is running at 50% plus ... and tell it to take you to the Source of the File ... you will see that is the Windows Explorer and not the IE.

In Vista if you do a Search in Help Section and look for "Fix a Corrupted User Profile" ... it will walk you step-by-step ... how to fix your problem. I followed it and since then my problem has been fixed ... no more 50% CPU usage and I have had like 6 or 7 Explorer Windows open at the same time ... No Problem!

But now I need help from you the Experts before I do something dumb and wipe my laptop and be forced into doing a "Clean" install which then I will loose some of my Freebies proggies.

HERE is my new problem ... when I was following the Fix from Corrupted User Profile ... I Named my New Users Names G1, G2, G3 ... here is what my problem is my User Name and USer Profile Name do NOT match each other ... as follows ... G being my Name and the No. 1 corresponds to No. 1 and so forth ...

User Name
1. G
2. G-1
3. G-2

User Profile Name
1. G-2
2. G-3
3. G-1

Q: How can I make my "User Name" be the Same as my "User Profile Name" as it was when my laptop was FRESH!?!?

Thanks,

G!:huh:
Totally a Newbie, Eager to Learn!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users