Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Police Pro

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 winterxstar

winterxstar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:32 PM

So I logged on my computer today, and was unfortunately introduced to the nasty spyware called "Windows Police Pro". I have done a scan with Malwarebytes, which is the program I always use to remove of any viruses on my computer. Malwarebytes did discover some infected files, and I did the usual steps to remove it by rebooting the computer. But when I restarted and logged on, Windows Police Pro was still on my computer. So I restarted again to run Malwarebytes in Safe Mode this time. Even then, the spyware was still on my computer!

I went on my sister's computer to search for any solutions, and came upon some removal instructions on this site for Windows Police Pro. I followed every single step, did another scan on Malwarebytes, and restarted. But to no avail, the spyware was still on my computer! So far, I am able to disable Windows Police Pro by ending the processes using task manager, but everytime I try to open a program.. a pop-up window appears and it says ERROR: C://...exe. Despite this problem, I am able to use the internet, run any programs, and my computer does not run slowly. So my only issue is that the spyware continues to come back whenever I restart. Is it possible that I have an active rootkit somewhere on my computer?

I've looked through other forum posts which relate to my issue, and it seems most of the time the problem is caused by a rootkit. I've downloaded RootRepeal, and completed a log. Don't worry, I haven't done anything to remove or wipe out any of the things listed on the log, but I created a log so I would be able to post it here. Hopefully, someone here can help me out with this issue, because Windows Police Pro is getting on my nerves.

Operating System: Gateway, Windows XP

EDIT
Well, I was able to remove Windows Police Pro by myself yesterday, and it "seems" that it is no longer on my computer. I had to use a combination of Spyware Doctor and avast! antispyware to get rid of it and some other spywares I didn't know that existed on the computer (AntiPro2009). With Spyware Doctor I could locate where these files were and look in the registry to delete them. Luckily I had enough computer smarts to know what I was doing. I would've used Spyware Doctor to remove the problems, but since I'm a college student, I didn't have 30 bucks to spare for the program. After manually removing some components of the spyware, I used avast! (60 day free trial) to remove the remaining remnants of Windows Police Pro, and other viruses.

Moderators, could you please close this topic since it's already solved?

Edited by winterxstar, 09 September 2009 - 03:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users