Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to reinstal XP without loosing any data?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bryan5255

bryan5255

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:04 PM

I have spent a good deal of time searching for a way to reinstal XP without loosing any data and all I've found is posts saying that doing what they say you could still loose your data, so back it up. Is there a way to reinstal XP while still ensuring 100% that no data is going to be lost? I have data on my computer that not thinking I didn't back up and I need for sure to have that data in tact when I'm done fixing my computer. It's not all word documents and some is within program files that I need as well.

First of all my computer at the moment is not recegnizing Windows on my computer and will not start Windows at the moment. When I put in the OS CD it does see the partitions and the size of them and also when I go into the repair option using the OS CD I can get into the files, so from what I can tell it is only the OS and not the drive itself that my computer can't read. I have already tried setting my drive up as a slave on another computer as the master to retrieve the data and that didn't work.

Like I said I do need a way to either reinstal XP or mess with the files while in repair mode that will 100% not loose any files on my drive. If there isn't a way to do that I have already talked to geek squad at best buy and they said they could transfer my files, but it would cost $100 or more. Although I would prefure not to pay that I would take that over possably loosing the information on my drive.

Thank you for you help in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:41 PM

No...nothing is 100% sure when dealing with an electronic, sophisticated device composed of individual elements where any one of them...may produce a hiccup which overturns your efforts.

And that's not even considering the complexities involved in file execution.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users