Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Police Pro/ AntiVirus Pro 2010

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:16 PM

Ok, where to start. Some info on the PC:

Dell Inspiron 1501 (Laptop)
XP Home (SP2)
AVG 8.5
No backups, restore points, or CD's.
She rented and now owns it from a Rent-a-Center. (Yea.....I know)
1 user(Admin rights) no guest.

I received a computer from a friend of mine that was infected with "Windows Police Pro". The really bad part is she already tried removing the infection using some fake/questionable instructions. From what she describes, she went and deleted the Windows Police Pro folder from the Programs Files folder. I got the laptop the next day and it was bad. Couldn't run: Taskbar, msconfig, regedit, any .exe. Windows Police Pro started on boot, and gave me a error for every start prog that ran. Also, several weeks ago, the battery died and won't work without the cord. Around the same time she lost the power adapter and bought a 2$ replacement online.::sigh::. Takes 10min of fiddling to get it to boot, and even then powers off if I touch the power block.

I fallowed the bleepingcomputer guide up to step 9, but when I downloaded Malwarebytes, it got to the point to running a scan, ran about 2 seconds, then shut down. Then when I I tried to reopen, it would pop up onto the screen, not appear in task manager, then disappear. I tried rebooting into Safemode, got a BSOD on a driver error(Which i didnt write down and am unable to replicate). At that point I took a break. Next day booted it up into normal, and when I tried to run anything, its said " Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file". I was talking to a friend and she suggested RootRepeal. I can open that, but I get a "Error - invalid PE image found" I hate a list of drivers it created, but everything else came up blank. Tried to run Combofix, but was unable to. Progress bar finishes, but then nothing. I have a.exe, b.exe, c.exe, and so on, running in the background. I was about to maybe try running anything by booting to command line, but then I noticed a tasktray icons for Antivirus Pro 2010. ::flail::. I can now atleast run safemode, so at least AVG is not a issue, but that isn't much.

And that is where I stand now. I don't have much hope. The research I have done into the "Windows can not access" suggest its a permissions issue. As of now, the laptop is turned off and I am not touching it until I have a gameplan. Please advise. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:53 PM

**Please Close Topic** Issue is resolved.

After several weeks of trying to clean up the system, I found it to be a lost cause. I trying another registry patch to allow .exe to run, and I got locked with a BSOD on both normal and safe boot. One odd thing I ran across is Dell said I should be able to use the recovery partition with F11. After watching the boot sequence many times and trying F11 (and every other combination of F1-12 keys for that matter) nothing got me to that option. Finally I just burned a bookable copy of Knoppix and dived in to backup important data, moved it on a USB, scanned and burned into onto a DVD. First, awesome OS, I highly recommend it. Second, in doing so I did indeed find a 7GB partition in FAT32 which looked to be a Recovery partition. It was at the point I thought maybe the Quick boot option in Bios was removing the F11 option for recovery? Never heard of such a thing, but I didn't think to check until I was halfway into doing a full format with a OEM. Long story short: Installed OS, updated, uploaded data from DVD and everything was golden. Woot.

PS. Issue with power supply turned out to be very common. 3rd(middle) pin is was loose where it connects to main power block. Was not making solid connection and thus was temperamental. If you are having this same problem: get one from dell if under warranty, buy a 3rd party one. If the later, go for the RNA-U100PRO. Check if compat with your laptop, but it worked great for me. Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users