Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Searchindexer.exe ate 100% of processor, left 2% HDD space free

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:12 PM

XP Pro, SP3

I've turned off the service, to make it stop eating the processor power. I turned the service to manual, just to make 100% sure it won't turn back on again.

But, does anyone know where, offhand, all these files have been indexed and stored, so I can get rid of them? My googling told me how to disable it, but no one mentioned similar problems with disk space.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:35 PM

Uninstall Windows Search 4.0, using Add/Remove Programs.

Windows Search 4.0 was developed for Vista and is the native install there (which is why you will see Vista users with complaints/problems re searchindexer.exe).

Since this is not a native XP application, this searchindexer.exe only appears if the user has installed Windows Search 4.0 on the system.

The program is not necessary or particularly useful for XP users, IMO.

Louis

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:42 PM

And how do I reclaim that hard drive space? It's not enough left to defrag, says the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users