Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Live Mail issues

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Pfw51

Pfw51

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:57 PM

I just joined BleepingComputer after it was recommended to me. I have Vista Home Premium 64-bit and have already pre-purchased the upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium, which is supposed to be released on Oct. 22 (the sooner the better... I hate Vista!) My computer is an HP Pavilion with 750 GB of hard drive and 8MB of memory.

We are on the AT&T U-Verse system for our internet, TV, and phone service. We purchased the fastest internet speed (18 mb) AT&T offers. The AT&T email runs through Yahoo Mail; we have the primary address plus four sub-account email addresses. I had been using Windows Mail, but when I made the decision that Vista must be cast out of my life as soon as possible, I learned that Windows 7 will only have Live Mail in it and Windows Mail will be a thing of the past. So, I downloaded Live Mail, using the same settings I had been using on Windows Mail. The AT&T web site was not very helpful... when looking for the email settings all they made available to me was Windows Mail 32-bit and everything that preceded it; there was no option for the 64-bit or Live Mail. However, they did say that the settings for all Microsoft web mail programs were the same. So, I set the outgoing mail server port at 465 and the incoming mail port at 995 and checked both "secure connection" boxes.

Almost immediately the email began to get screwed up; some mail would come thru and some wouldn't. When I went into the AT&T Yahoo Mail page there were always emails that had been there for several days that had never been forwarded to my Live Mail. So I went back to the account settings and tried several combinations of settings (ie: unchecked the "secure connection" boxes and let one or the other or both port numbers revert back to their default) to see which ones made Live Mail work right. Some combinations worked better than others; the one that works best is if the primary email is the default 25/110 with the "secure connection" boxes left unchecked, and the sub-account emails set at 465/995 with the boxes checked. However, about a third of my sub-account emails still get hung up in AT&T Yahoo mail and never get to Live Mail. And when I go into Yahoo Mail to go get my sub-account mails I only have about a minute before Yahoo Mail automatically logs me off the sub-account and logs me on the primary account; I don't know why that happens but it happens every time.

My concern is that when I upgrade to Windows 7 my Live Mail will not work correctly so I am trying to fix it before the upgrade. Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users