Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading RAM

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 carolhall1

carolhall1

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:48 PM

I have an older Dell Dimension 8250 running Win XP, SP3 with 512 MB RAM (2x256). There are two empty RIMM slots available and the processor is a 2.4 Ghz Intel P4. Would additional RAM help to speed things up a bit? If so, what type and amount should I get? I understand there can be compatability problems in some cases. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zedsed420

zedsed420

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:21 PM

According to the specs for your system, you will require RDRAM pc800 or pc1066. Here is a linkto those specs. I would check google shopping and buy from a reputable dealer. Here is a link to the page I found for your type of RAM Google RDRAM

Asus Crosshair III  Motherboard, AMD PhenomII x4 965 custom watercooled XSPC Raystorm copper block,  8g Mushkin Blackline
2 XFX Radeon 4890's in Crossfire mode custom watercooled full copper EK blocks,  XSPC rs360 triple 120 radiator 
850w Antec full modular 80plus certified,  NZXT Switch Black case  Custom Watercooled Laing DDC w/ XSPC pumptop res

Tygon black tubing,  all Bitspower fittings and clamps, 2 Samsung 1T spinpoint F1's 

Windows 7 Professional x64 dual boot Ubuntu 12.10

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:14 PM

RDRAM is extremely expensive and may not be advisable on such an old PC. For the cost of a RAM upgrade, you may be able to get or overhaul the PC and get much better performance.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users