Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Older Desktop... need recovery disc

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Screen OH NO

Blue Screen OH NO

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:21 AM

Yes... me again...

I have a Compaq (bought in 2005) and I need a recovery/repair disc to reinstall windows so I can get my pictures. I have pics on this PC that are 4 years old and I do not have copies, kids, deceased stepmom, deceased stepmom, deceased cat...., pics that are important to us. They were taken out of my camera, installed and deleted from my memory card.

HP states that they do not keep recov discs longer than 5 years and I have been trying to find one for a few months to no avail. Is there a way to use a retail copy of XP and do a non-destructive recovery? Does anyone here know where I can get one? Do you have one I can buy???

Thank you again!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:37 AM

Recovery disks are now sold by all sorts of vendors, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...mp;oq=&aqi= . Manufacturers are not the only source of such.

XP is still being sold, contrary to some rumors. Just two of the various vendors available:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16837116194

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...2&CatId=672

Louis

Of course...there is no guarantee that you will be able to view/access files previously on the system...much depends on the nature of your original problem and no repair install attempt is ever guaranteed. Since your intent is to be able to access files which you now cannot access, I would not go the recovery CD route...I tend to think of "recovery/restore" as equal to "just like it was when you bought it." Which means erasure of everything on the hard drive currently.

Edited by hamluis, 08 September 2009 - 11:41 AM.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:41 AM

If this is the same hard drive that Louis is helping you out with here then my suggestion is to quit using it immediately. There are a number of ways you may be able to recover your important data.

Probably the easiest way is purchasing an external USB drive caddie. Removing the drive from the laptop. Then using the caddie plug it into another computer. If the drive is still somewhat functioning then you should be able to retrieve your data.

At that point the decision can be made to test or scrap the drive and purchase a new one.

#4 Blue Screen OH NO

Blue Screen OH NO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:45 AM

No, this topic is about my desktop, the one with the blue screen is my son's laptop. If I could just get my pics I would just format the desktop and start over. I had been having problems with it for awhile and kept saying to myself "Save the pics to hotmail..." and never did it... yes, I kick myself daily.

I was thinking of going to Geek Squad because they say they can retrieve data from computers with serious problems... has anyone used them before? And is it possible to actually get them off the computer if there is a serious issue or do the Geeks just blow smoke?

Thank you both for replying. I am going crazy with all these PC problems.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:53 AM

If it is not a mechanical failure of the hard drive then the procedure I described above should still work. Or if you have another working PC then you can slave the drive with the wanted data to it. Save them, then with them out of harms way you can safely do as you will with the drive.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:58 AM

I haven't used Geek Squad, but I have friends who had more faith in them than warranted :thumbsup:.

Honestly speaking, I don't think that Geek Squad will be able to do anything (cheaper) that you cannot do yourself.

ThunderZ is correct...if removing data files is your primary concern...there are any number of ways to do that without spending any money (if the hard drive/file system is intact/not damaged).

Removing the hard drive and temporarily attaching it to a different PC...is cheap and fast and convenient. PCs abound in the home and workplace.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users