Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP!! Blue Screen!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Screen OH NO

Blue Screen OH NO

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:07 AM

Hi.... I have a few questions.. so this might be a long read (sorry :thumbsup: ).

I am using an older laptop (2006) and recently a blue screen appears, it restarts automatically and a Microsoft windows link opens starting there is a problem with the hard disk.

The Blue screen pops on so fast that I cannot see what it says.

Is there a way to figure out what is causing the screen?

I formatted (probably 5 times already) and changed what I was downloading after the last format to see if I could find out what is happening and if I could see if somehting I was installing was causing problems.

The first few times after format, I DLed my antivirus (Avira), Spybot and then my wireless adapter (all from Cnet.com) and twice went to microsoft to update windows.

After getting the computer running, I would go to Facebook and that is where the blue screen would pop on, restart and tell me there is a problem.

I did what it suggested as far as checking for errors but the computer freezes at stage 4, 7%.

Ok, now for my questions....

Could the hard disk be damaged by dropping?

Could there be a wire loose (that is a suggestion by microsoft but I have no idea how to check!).

Can the hard disk be replaced on a lap top? If so, where can I find one?

Is the hard disk able to be repaired with a program?

Today the computer was frozen and would not restart so I again formatted and am now wired instead of DLing my wireless adapter (in case there was a problem with the file and it was conflicting with my PC). While it was formatting it was making a sort of crackling sound I had not heard before, and this sound also happened while in DOS doing the scan disk which then froze.

The only thing I DLed today was AVG Free so I could go online and be sfe.

I hope you can understand what I am saying. I can work a computer but that is pretty much it.... as far as diagnostics and being tech savvy, I am very green and below what you would call a novice although I can sometimes figure things out, it's mostly by luck. ;)

THANK YOU for any help....

Edited by Blue Screen OH NO, 08 September 2009 - 11:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:26 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I suggest immediately running a hard drive diagnostic (long or extended test) on the hard drive.

These tools are available for download at the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive...tests for one manufacturer will probably not work on the drives of a different manufacturer.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

<>

Certainly.

<>

Certainly. The hard drive is a removable component of a laptop, attached to the PC by a special connection. Your laptop owner's manual should contain instructions as to how to access or remove the hard drive.

<>

Yes.

<>

Any number of places, with the most reliable/cheapest be online vendors selling computer parts, computers, etc. Two vendors commonly used:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.as...top-Hard-Drives

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...277|&Sort=4

<>

Not really.

Minor problems can be corrected or gone around...but serious problems (component failure/damage) probably cannot be overcome. A hard drive is a sensitive device and once it cannot successfully be relied upon...there's no point in trying to use it for computing purposes. The diagnostic is suggested because it's one way to determine the severity of the problem.

<>

Yes. Since your system boots into Windows, Disable Automatic Restarts When Windows Crashes - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74644/how-to-disable-automatic-restarts-when-windows-crashes/ . This should result in an error message that is readable for content.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 September 2009 - 11:26 AM.

#3 Blue Screen OH NO

Blue Screen OH NO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:39 AM

THANK YOU for taking the time to answer, I appreciate it.

Ok, this is what comes up with Belarc:

Drives
59.99 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
50.96 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4082N [CD-ROM drive]

HTS541060G9AT00 [Hard drive] (60.01 GB) -- drive 0, s/n MPB3LAXGGMVTWM, rev MB3VA60A, SMART Status: Healthy

Am I looking at the right section for the manufacturer name?

And I see this:

These required security hotfixes (using the 08/11/2009 Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary) were not found installed. Note: CIS benchmarks require that Critical and Important severity security hotfixes must be installed.

BUT when I have tried to update windows in the past it freezes or reports that the updates cannot be installed. Is there a way around that???

#4 circaal

circaal

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:48 AM

I have used a program called HDD Regenerator. Its a file included on Hiren's BootCD which can be download for free. Just download, burn, and boot from CD. When the screen comes up hit start BOOTCD and then choose HDD tools or HDD Recovery Tools and used the HDD Regenerator. That will scan your HDD and let you know if you have any bad sectors. If the progrma finds any it will try and repair the sectors. Hopefully this helps you.
-BTY

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:51 AM

Your hard drive: HITACHI Travelstar 5K100 HTS541060G9AT00 (13G1583) 60GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/down...r_Guide_415.pdf

Drive Fitness Test, Version 4.15, http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#OGT

Download the CD Image version if you want to create a bootable CD...download the Diskette Creator version if you want to use a floppy disk for the diagnostic.

Change your boot options before attempting to use either...to the appropriate boot device.

Louis

Let's focus on the diagnostic alone for right now...if we can get past that, we will worry about Windows situations.

Edited by hamluis, 08 September 2009 - 11:52 AM.

#6 Blue Screen OH NO

Blue Screen OH NO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:53 AM

Your hard drive: HITACHI Travelstar 5K100 HTS541060G9AT00 (13G1583) 60GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/down...r_Guide_415.pdf

Drive Fitness Test, Version 4.15, http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#OGT

Download the CD Image version if you want to create a bootable CD...download the Diskette Creator version if you want to use a floppy disk for the diagnostic.

Change your boot options before attempting to use either...to the appropriate boot device.

Louis

Thanks... I was looking at all those numbers and figured one of them would lead me to who the manufacturer is, I should have just googled it, thank you for getting me the info!! I will go to that link now and see what happens.

Thanks again for being so quick to answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users