Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD in Vista 64 when booting or during reinstall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NCJason

NCJason

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:50 AM

I am working with a Dell laptop, Intel Core 2 Duo. I was not with the laptop when the problem started but what I have been told is that the laptop got "stuck" on a web site and could not close the browser or turn off the laptop so the battery was removed.

When the laptop is powered on, Windows Vista attempts to start and then give the BSOD driver_irql_not_less_or_equal stop: 0x000000d1. When I first started troubleshooting the problem I got into Safe Mode and set the computer back to the most recent restore point but it did not help. Now I can not get Safe Mode again to launch to view any error logs. The system gets to crcdisk.sys and hangs before giving the same BSOD. I have run a memory test and a hard drive test and both passed with no errors. I have attempted Last Known Good and the start up repair options with no success.

I have tried to reinstall the OS with the Dell disk and I get a couple additional error codes, 0x0000001E and 0x0000000A. Most of the time it will blue screen before the install even starts. Occasionally it will stop while copying files before the installation even gets started, just after I am prompted for the language.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Jason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:08 PM

Did you take a look at MS resolution suggestion?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175687

#3 NCJason

NCJason
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:08 AM

I have looked at several Microsoft fixes but none helped. I am OK with reloading the OS and not trying to just fix the issues (to hopefully prevent other problems) but i can't even get the system to do a clean install.

Jason

#4 NCJason

NCJason
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:54 PM

The problem turned out to be a bad stick of RAM and possibly the hard drive. I had tested the system from a boot disk and it all tested good. I talked to Dell Tech Support and they had me run some built in diagnostics that found the RAM issue. The test for the hard drive was taking a very long time so they said it could be bad also. They overnight shipped two replacement sticks of RAM and a new hard drive and everything is good to go now. :huh:

Thanks,
Jason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users