Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fatal Error c000021a and re-boots

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 elmquilts

elmquilts

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:54 AM

My daughters pc continues to re-boot ( Windows XP with service pak2). I have run chkdsk /p and tried to restart windows and got a FATAL ERROR again. Error code c000021a. I have been dealing with this problem for a few days now by reading the forums. The pc will NOT restart in safe mode, basically cant do anything. Now I need someone to assist me. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:58 AM

Chkdsk /p does nothing but read, it makes no corrections.

Try running chkdsk /r instead.

System manufacturer and model?

Info on your error:

0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED
This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised. Security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Win XP canít run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur as a result of malware infestation or when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders.

Louis

#3 elmquilts

elmquilts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:11 AM

This is a Compac AMD64 running windows xp with all service paks. Starting chkdsk /r now. She was infected with AntiVirusPro but I took care of that (thought it was all clean) and the pc was stable for about a week. Then the re-boots started happening.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:29 AM

FWIW: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...ivirus-pro-2009

Louis

#5 elmquilts

elmquilts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:51 PM

How do i run this when i dont have windows? The best i can get is the C prompt. Also im noticing a lot of .dmp files

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:17 PM

How can you see .dmp files...if you cannot get into Windows?

Where are you getting the C: prompt...in the Recovery Console of XP?

The link was provided for informational purposes...on what should have been done to take care of the issue you state was a known problem.

Louis

#7 elmquilts

elmquilts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:36 PM

The C prompt from the recovery console is the only thing i can get to because it will not start in safe mode.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:21 PM

I don't see where you have any options but to try a repair install of XP.

But...I would not do that until I had removed the hard drive from her system...and temporarily slaved it to a known-good, protected system...and had run an updated Malwarebytes on that drive.

Louis

#9 elmquilts

elmquilts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

oh boy looks like im gonna have some fun tonite. Ok i will see if i can find the OEM disks from her pc so i can repair. I can slave that drive to this pc and run Malwarebytes. Will let you know what i find..................thanks

#10 elmquilts

elmquilts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:44 PM

OK..... I was not able to slave the drive but I was finally able to re-install XP on the drive. I installed Malwarebytes and have run a full scan twice and it has found NO infections. The pc is NOT connected to the internet (it is sitting in the living room at the moment). What should I do now? I don't feel like everything is clean.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:33 PM

Check Event Viewer for errors that might relate to your problems.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

You might look up some of those .dmp files you referenced earlier...and attempt the following procedures: Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

If you feel that you still have a malware problem, I can suggest moving your thread to BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ .

Louis

#12 elmquilts

elmquilts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:11 PM

On a side note, while I am doing all this.....I have Malwarebytes, what other anti-virus spyware etc. should I install?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:40 PM

Well...that's a matter of opinion.

I can tell you how I approach it: Firewall, all critical updates for XP...reliable AV program which I keep updated (Avira AntiVir Personal), Malwarebytes and SUPERAntispyware. When the mood strikes me, I've also run Spybot S&D and /or Windows Defender (for comparative purposes). I've run combinations of all these and finally settled on Mawarebytes and SAS.

Louis

#14 elmquilts

elmquilts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:06 PM

ok Windows Firewall is ON. Windows XP is updated as well as all drivers. I ran Malwarebytes after installing the updates. Avira AntiVirus has been installed and running a full scan and it found nothing. Still trying to decide on the anti-spyware.

#15 elmquilts

elmquilts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:38 PM

Well I think all is ok now. Nothing has been detected with any of the programs. Guess you can say Im back and running as well as can be. Thank you for all you help!!! I will hollar if something happens in the future.

LeAnne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users