Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory problem?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 claudie

claudie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:38 AM

I have a program called "photoRecall, v2.0" that has not been around for some time. It is a photo management program and I have several albums and hundreds of photos in it. I have to desktop computers by HP, both running XP media center, and the program installed on both with no errors. However when I try to open it on my primary computer I get this error message "database failed to open- Out of memory". The other computer opens the program fine and I was able to restore my original data. The database is .mdb, microsolf access. I also have two lapatops running XP, and it will run on one and not the other. I have 2gb memory in the main desktop, that won't open the program, and a system check shows over 1gb memory available. The program was by "G&A imaging" which another company bought out and no help available there. I have tried changing virtual memory/page file sizes to no avail. The two desktops both run Phoenix bios, and have AMD processors.
I went to Best Buy some time back, and with their permission, tried the program on half dozen or so new computers, and the program would not open on any of them.
HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:36 PM

To be honest...I would never expect a program from 1998 or so...to run smoothly on any version of XP in 2009.

The shift from Windows 9x to XP is a broad enough step...that some mainstream programs had hiccups making that move.

Even Microsoft Office is not backwards compatible that far.

Code that is over 10 years old...is likely to break, IMO, on today's systems. I don't know that, but I would expect it...based on my software experiences since my first system and Windows 95.

Louis

#3 claudie

claudie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:17 PM

I have determined the problem to be memory related. The program was written in microsoft access, and MS has acknowledged that the version of access will not run on computers with 1gb or more of ram. I limited my ram in the main desktop and other laptop with boot.ini file and program runs fine. I am now looking for some way to limit the ram this individual program sees. Any sugestions appreciated.
Claudie Swiney
Magnolia, Tx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users