Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing Xubuntu on with ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:52 AM

hey guys
if you read this:from the Xubuntu website:

If you have an existing Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or Edubuntu installation, it is possible to install Xubuntu and retain your current installation. To do so, just go into Synaptic (or Adept if you use Kubuntu) and install the xubuntu-desktop package. Next time you login, you can choose Xfce4 from the Session menu on the login screen. If you want to have a default Xubuntu install but have installed Ubuntu or Kubuntu, you can remove all Gnome and KDE packages by following instructions on this page.

how much room would that take ? and how much would i have to download ?
as i only got a 7 gb parition drive for ubuntu i dont want all my space gone(i can give ubuntu drive a other 2 gb if needed
what would you recommend removing so i can get extra room(caches , useless programs)

ubuntu works fine but its a little slow (this is a old pentium 3) and i want the fastest ubuntu type os

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:27 AM

I wanted a fast booting & fast Linux, so I removed Linux Mint from my dual boot with Vista and installed Crunchbang linux.
Very fast & minimalist with an excellent friendly & helpful forum.

I went for Crunchbang Lite, but the 'full' version is also v. fast - just it had apps that I do not use.

http://crunchbanglinux.org/

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:13 AM

i see
but i gotten so used to ubuntu
one more question
whats the difference between ubuntu and xubuntu

Edited by starcraftmaster, 08 September 2009 - 07:14 AM.

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:27 AM

never mind
i installed it
i didn't like the feel of it , am going to stay with ubuntu
thanks for the help

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:58 PM

Try installing the Enlightenment Desktop enviroment (either enlightenment or e16 or e17 in the repos) its fairly fast and interesting to try. there are other options like fluxbox(minimalist) to try too. and kde is faster than Gnome but not that much in my experience.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users