Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP DV5224nr Laptop Over 4 Minutes to Boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hockeyman

hockeyman

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:55 PM

I have an HP Pavilion DV5224nr Laptop with the following configuration

Windows XP - Media Center Version 2003 SP3
AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-37
1.99GHz
1GB RAM

The laptop is taking a lot longer to boot than normal (over 5 minutes) and I can no longer see my DVD/CD drive hardware. Here is a HiJackThis log
I have also ran Spybot but it did not detect anything out the the ordinary.

Hockeyman.

EDIT: Removed log~not allowed in this forum
If you wish to post a HJT log, please follow the instrucions posted here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Edited by garmanma, 08 September 2009 - 09:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 compaqkoci

compaqkoci

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:53 AM

What if any Anti-Spyware/Virus protection do you use?

#3 hockeyman

hockeyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:52 AM

Norton Antivirus is installed on the laptop

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:12 AM

I would be curious to know what method you are using to generate your timings - not that they are not accurate!

How do you determine when your computer has finished booting?

The reason I ask is that if you start to make changes, will you be able to say something like:

This change took 10.8 seconds off my boot time, therefore, it is good.

Your CD/DVD issue could be contributing to the slowness if Windows is trying to figure it out.

Some features of Norton can contribute to system performance issues.

Will you please run these other scanning softwares as well?

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 circaal

circaal

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:02 PM

You can also try tapping F8 every couple of seconds when you are booting up this should give you a screen with a couple of options such as Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt and about 8 others. Move down until you see the option to Enable boot logging and this will boot up your computer normally but will export a file in the C:\ root directory called BOOTEX.txt I believe. THis txt file will tell you how long it takes to boot up and what files are taking the longest on your computer.
-BTY

#6 hockeyman

hockeyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:55 PM

First, Sorry to the BleepingComputer team for posting the HJT log incorrectly and wasting everyones time.

Thanks to all that replied with your ideas. I fixed the CD/DVD Drive problem. The drive was not seeded properly in the laptop chassis and as a result did not get power. I reseeded it and it is now working fine. That did not resolve the slow boot issue.

After turning on the boot logging it was obvious that Norton the dog in the boot process. 3+ minutes to startup

Thanks everyone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users