Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Word 2003 - "Word experienced an error trying to open the file" message followed by successful opening of the file

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 DannyScL

DannyScL

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:51 PM

I've got some strange behavior going on with .doc files at the moment. Whenever I try to open a .doc file from Windows Explorer or a desktop shortcut, Word opens with the error message "Word experienced an error trying to open the file. Try these suggestions. * Check the file permissions for the document or drive. *Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space. *Open the file with the Text Recovery converter."

After clicking OK, the .doc file then opens in Word, apparently with no problems at all (I can edit, save, etc.). So basically the error message seems to be wrong, since the file does open properly.

I can open .doc files from within Word (File -> Open) with no error message.

The issue is more of an annoyance than anything else (since the file eventually opens up just fine), but I imagine it'll just become more irritating as time goes on. Any suggestions on how to resolve it? I've been poking around in the Folder Options -> File Types in Explorer without a clear sense of purpose.

I'm running MS Word 2003 SP3 on Windows XP Service Pack 3. If you need any further info, please let me know.

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users