Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computers not showing in Workgroup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alkusoittow

alkusoittow

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:00 PM

So recently I setup file and printer sharing for easier access between my laptop and desktop computer. Both machines are running XP SP3, and I put them both in the name workgroup. After a reboot, I was able to setup shared folders and drives, and I was zipping right along, moving files at will. It was great!

However, a week later I try the same thing, and no dice. Here's some basic info to start:

Both computers: XP SP3
Both: same workgroup
Desktop: wired connection
Laptop: wireless connection
Both: excellent internet connectivity
Both: firewall turned off
Both: NWLink NetBIOS and IPX/SPX installed (in addition to the regular stuff)
Desktop: setup to be Master Browser
Laptop: setup to NOT be Master Browser
Both: "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" selected
Router: Firewall turned OFF

So... I've done my homework. That is what has been accomplished so far, and still I cannot see the laptop from the desktop, nor the desktop from the laptop. I can't ping each other's IP address, I can't ping the computer name, I can't map a network drive, etc...

I am at a total loss as to why this is occuring!! Windows home networking SUCKS!!

Please help

Edited by alkusoittow, 07 September 2009 - 07:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alkusoittow

alkusoittow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:32 PM

Ok... SOLVED.

Naturally, the problem was such a big one that it would have a simple solution...

Apparently, over the last week, I've had a new neighbor move in the condo below me. I didnt know since I was on vacation. My neighbor setup an unsecured network with the same brand router and same default network name.

I changed my SSID to something unique, rebooted the laptop, rebooted the router, and now file sharing is working beautifully.... UGH!

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

I am unclear on a few things:

Why you have Novell network protocols installed when you aren't running Netware? NWLink NetBIOS and IPX/SPX are what I am referring to.

What you mean by "setup to be Master browser......setup to NOT be Master Browser"? Are the computers not connected directly to router?

Why you have the firewall turned off on the router?

Can you post what you see when you do an ipconfig /all on both computers?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 alkusoittow

alkusoittow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:51 PM

Well the whole Novell network stuff was purely by recommendation from some other posting I had researched via google... probably not necessary at all, but I was trying anything.

The Master Browser... this is a little tricky. In an XP home network, one computer must act as the Master Browser (meaning, find and organize the names of all computers in the workgroup). All the computers are supposed to have what's called an election to see who will be the master browser, but sometimes 2 different computers will get stuck in an eternal rock-paper-scissors type run-off and never resolve who will be the master browser. You can set your computer to ALWAYS be the master browser (or attempt to be) in the registry.

The firewall was turned off on the router just for the sake of making sure that it was not the source of the problem.

All the settings have been reversed, firewalls turned back on, etc. The only problem was just conflicting network names, but now that's taken care of.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:07 PM

The Master Browser... this is a little tricky. In an XP home network, one computer must act as the Master Browser (meaning, find and organize the names of all computers in the workgroup). All the computers are supposed to have what's called an election to see who will be the master browser, but sometimes 2 different computers will get stuck in an eternal rock-paper-scissors type run-off and never resolve who will be the master browser. You can set your computer to ALWAYS be the master browser (or attempt to be) in the registry.

Umm what? Not that it matters, you figured out your issue.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users