Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up home network with PC and iMac

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 emt6388

emt6388

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:25 PM

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good websites that would explain home networking. I have a new iMac and I will be buying a PC in the near future (for the wife). I was wanting them to be networked together (if this is possible). I'm trying to figure out if I need any special hardware or software ( I am really new to this). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:16 PM

Why the PC for the wife? She not a MAC fan? DIVORCE HER!!! lol j/k I'm a fan of MAC, just not enough of one to plop the $$ for one. =)

I am unclear what you are asking for.

Are you looking for a site to explain networking? or one on how to share files from the MAC to PC?

If you are looking for the first then I would advise you to Google search - because there are some that go from giving just a basic insight to "OMG why do I need to know all this?" But I think what you are looking for is what do you need to network your computers together and the simple answer is a router. There are tons to choose from but the first choice is wired or wireless? From there its a matter of personal choice, I like Belkin but Linksys, D-Link and Netgear are all good choices. For home use the routers you are looking for will be called a router switch. They come with paperwork on how to connect them to your ISP modem and the computers.

If you are looking for sharing files between MAC and Vista, this site should help. I have read a couple sites, on the site I posted at step 10, you may need to put the IP address rather than the name of the MAC. Try it both ways to see which works.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 emt6388

emt6388
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:41 PM

I was wanting to know how to share files between the Mac and PC. Thanks for your help that site makes it look easy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users