Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network refusing to connect

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Azumizai

Azumizai

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:53 PM

I have a friend who lives on the other side of the contintent trying to ask me for some help regaurding his internet connection. He recently had his computer's operating system re-installed to Windows XP SP2. But when he tries to set up his internet connection, he gets this message:

"Depending on wireless software running on this computer, the Wireless Network Setup Wizard might not work. For details see article 871122 in the Microsoft Knowlege Base at microsoft.com."

His router is a Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. D

His computer is SP2. He does NOT have an optical drive on it that functions.

I am quite lost on how to help him myself.

1. Is there any way to get SP3 for Windows XP onto his computer by use of a USB key and another computer that has an internet connection
2. Would getting a USB port optical drive for his laptop aide him?

Any help at all... would be fantastic. Thank you.

Edited by The weatherman, 07 September 2009 - 06:15 PM.
Moved from XP to a more appropriate forum. Tw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:37 PM

SP3 Standalone - From here. Its 316 MB, fits easily on most thumb drives.

If he doesn't have the proper drivers for his wireless adapter, then he needs to download them and get them installed.

And did the PC have another OS on it and XP was installed on it? or Did he just have to reinstall XP?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users