Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Manager won't run

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Shenanigans23

Shenanigans23

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:29 PM

I can't get the task manager to run in any way I've tried ctrl+alt+del, ctrl+shift+esc, and even run taskmgr but nothing works. There is no error message just the hourglass symbol on the mouse pointer for a few seconds and then nothing. I've gone into the registry to figure it out but it seems fine to me, but then again i really have no idea what i'm looking at.
(Background info) recently another user of this computer downloaded the malicious software windows protection suite and that's when this all started so i'm sure that has something to do with it. But that's been deleted so I'm stuck. HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:31 PM

Have you scanned with your AV and some malware scan tools?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Shenanigans23

Shenanigans23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:44 PM

Yes of course there must be a registry error or something but like I said I can't figure out what it is.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:54 PM

What does event viewer say for Task Manager?

Open Start Menu > Run and type eventvwr.msc and press Enter to open Event Viewer.

#5 Shenanigans23

Shenanigans23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:25 PM

What does event viewer say for Task Manager?

Open Start Menu > Run and type eventvwr.msc and press Enter to open Event Viewer.

I'm not quite sure what i'm looking for.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:44 PM

If an application causes error or fails to run, it registers the event in Event Viewer with details. You are looking for TaskManager if you can find.

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,185 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:13 PM

Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32.

Make a copy of taskmgr.exe and call it something like shenan.exe and see if launching (double click) shenan.exe will open Task Manager.

For another test, click Start, Run and in the box enter:

cmd

Click OK and do you get a command Window? If yes, type exit to close whe window.

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

Try your taskmgr.exe again - additional work may be required.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#8 Shenanigans23

Shenanigans23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:03 AM

If an application causes error or fails to run, it registers the event in Event Viewer with details. You are looking for TaskManager if you can find.

I looked and there was not even a hint that it was failing.

#9 Shenanigans23

Shenanigans23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:19 AM

Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32.

Make a copy of taskmgr.exe and call it something like shenan.exe and see if launching (double click) shenan.exe will open Task Manager.

For another test, click Start, Run and in the box enter:

cmd

Click OK and do you get a command Window? If yes, type exit to close whe window.

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

Try your taskmgr.exe again - additional work may be required.

Ok both the renaming taskmgr worked and the command prompt came up I have already downloaded malwarebytes and ran it that's what removed the windows protection suite malware. I've also scanned for spyware and its neither.

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,185 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:19 AM

So you ran MBAM and it did whatever it did and now the taskmgr.exe still will not work, but shenan.exe does work - is that correct?

The taskmgr.exe will not run because that process (by name alone) is not allowed to appear as a running task, therefore shenan.exe will run since it is a different name. The cmd.exe is also sometimes a victim. A couple other processes may be effected, hence the rename trick. Tricky malware!

Having seen this problem before, I believe you have/had some malicious software that has been removed, but there is some leftovers in the registry that needs to be fixed. MBAM and SAS have the best chance of removing this malware but can't fix the registry.

The scans remove the malware but don't know if the registry is "right" or not, so they just leave it alone and you have to fix it by hand.

I am familiar with this problem and have fixed it many times, but a BC moderator may need to move you to the Am I Infected? forum since a mere mortal like me should not be suggesting such things in this forum and those folks may want you to do some other things or know some better tricks.

I will follow along with your progress :thumbsup:

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#11 Modify

Modify

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:05 AM

So you ran MBAM and it did whatever it did and now the taskmgr.exe still will not work, but shenan.exe does work - is that correct?

The taskmgr.exe will not run because that process (by name alone) is not allowed to appear as a running task, therefore shenan.exe will run since it is a different name. The cmd.exe is also sometimes a victim. A couple other processes may be effected, hence the rename trick. Tricky malware!

Having seen this problem before, I believe you have/had some malicious software that has been removed, but there is some leftovers in the registry that needs to be fixed. MBAM and SAS have the best chance of removing this malware but can't fix the registry.

The scans remove the malware but don't know if the registry is "right" or not, so they just leave it alone and you have to fix it by hand.

I am familiar with this problem and have fixed it many times, but a BC moderator may need to move you to the Am I Infected? forum since a mere mortal like me should not be suggesting such things in this forum and those folks may want you to do some other things or know some better tricks.

I will follow along with your progress :thumbsup:

Hi, new here, and I found this thread that had the exact same problem that I'm experincing with my taskmanager, so I didn't want to start a whole new thread.
Whatever happen with this? No one ever mention the registry fix, and it was not moved to the I'm infected forum as I did a search with no luck. I'm really looking forward to a solution.

#12 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,185 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:37 AM

Sometimes the scans will fix it, sometimes there is a little more to do.

What is your current situation?

Will a copy of taskmgr.exe to some other named file run?

If you click Start, Run and in the box enter:

cmd

Click OK, does a cmd.exe window open? If yes, type exit, Enter to close it.

Have you done this part yet:

Reduce the chances of malicious software by running some scans.

These can be uninstalled later if desired.

#13 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:02 AM

try this application fixed my taskmanager:
http://download.cnet.com/Task-Manager-Fix/....html?tag=mncol

must reset the registry or settings for tak manager

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users