Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank screen during boot up

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Wibbit

Wibbit

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:26 PM

Hello,

First off, I'm fairly ignorant about computers.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong with my hard drive?

Won't boot, will work as slave.

I clicked a shortcut to Firefox and the browser window opened but froze before the homepage had loaded.

Cntrl/Alt/del didn't work so I pressed the little reset button.

I heard a beep, then saw the first page of white text (checking for memory size and offering the option of pressing Del or F11, etc). This page of white text disappears after a few seconds and is momentarily (0.2 of a sec?) replaced by some more white text (too fast to read).

Then the monitor goes black and nothing else happens. No sign of the Windows XP startup page.

I tried a few times.

I took the hard drive out, removed its jumper, and connected it as slave in an old pc. I was able to access the drive and backup my most important files. And before everyone has a go... I do usually back up to an external drive, but the missus had problems with her Mac and has swiped my backup drive. I know, it's shocking, she just plain nicked it. Reformatted and everything. Sheesh! :thumbsup:

I'm thinking about trying a repair from the disk (if I can find it). But is doing this likely to remove any files? I can't try replacing drivers as I can't get the pc on.

Edited by Wibbit, 07 September 2009 - 03:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:11 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Wibbit

Wibbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for the reply Budapest.

I put the CD in but it's still going to a blank screen. This is before any login in options appear, or Windows logos.

I tried the F8 key and got a menu offering, among others, safe mode and last good...

I've tried both. Safe Mode produced a list of file names in large white font but the esc key and the arrow keys did nothing.

I rebooted with the little button, did the F8 thing, and tried Last Good Configuration but no change.

I've now tried it twice with the CD in. No joy.

Any other suggestions?

#4 Wibbit

Wibbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:32 PM

Gloom is slowing my mind.

I've now reset the BIOS to boot from the CD and new things happened.

I got a new page of white text with a bit at the bottom about pressing any key to start from CD. I pressed one and got a blue screen stating 'Windows Startup' at the top left and 'Loading Colonel de ... er, Kernel Debugger...' at the bottom. It's been like this for a few minutes now. No noises.

Any suggestions?

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:43 PM

What is the make and model number of your computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Wibbit

Wibbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:49 PM

I honestly don't know. I've had it from new but it didn't have a name even then.

It's now got an FX5200 motherboard and the graphics card is... it's a red one with a gold-coloured MSI heat sink. That was a replacement for an old card that went wrong.

Audiophile soundcard

AMD 1.4 chip.

512 RAM

#7 Wibbit

Wibbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:50 PM

The missus found the box.

The graphics card is an MSI K7N2 Delta 2

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:54 PM

You could try testing your memory:

http://www.memtest.org/

Let the test run overnight.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Wibbit

Wibbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:59 PM

But I can't switch the computer on, so I can't visit the site...

I'm thinking of just buying a new drive tomorrow and running the current one as a slave. Though all my work and music is on this drive and it'll take hours to transfer the lot.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:03 PM

At the http://www.memtest.org/ website you can download an ISO file. You use this ISO file to create a CD. Then, you use this CD to boot the problem computer and run the test.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 Wibbit

Wibbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:11 PM

Ah, now your comment makes sense. I really don't know much about this.

I will d/l the file.

In the meantime, I decided to give up on kernel debugger and again pressed the reset button. This time the process went further. I've pressed R and got the Recovery prog and I've now got a black screen with white text asking which Windows installation I want to use. Enter for cancel, with an expectant cursor.

What do I type?

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:18 PM

When it is asking which Windows installations you want, does it give a list? Do you have more than one copy of Windows installed on that hard drive?

You could just try pressing ENTER and see what happens.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 Wibbit

Wibbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:21 PM

AHA! Yes! Brilliant! You splendid Hungarian city you!

Curiosity got the better of me. As I could only type one letter I decided to go for the cancel option.

On reboot I got the urge to let it try to start through the hard drive. And up it came.

I am soooooooooooooooooo relieved.

Must have been something to do with the files that were loaded from the CD.

Now I'm wondering why it went wrong. I'm going to run the virus and Ad programs and scrutinise that processes list I spotted elsewhere on this site.

If I haven't said so already, thank you ever so much for your time and patience. Up the Magyars!

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:22 PM

Let us know if your virus scans show up anything.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 Wibbit

Wibbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:25 PM

I celebrated too soon. It froze again.

I've been through the process above twice, but it won't go beyond our friend kernel debugger.

Worse still, I've had some new warnings.

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file);
/systemroot/system32/config/SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Then I got:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage. ... The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. ... Press F7 during install storage drivers to turn off ACPI.

STOP: 0x000000A5 (0x00000011, 0x00000007, 0xF87CEOCO, 0x0100000E).

Any ideas what might be happening?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users