Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP SP2: Unable to start Network Connections Services

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cray85

cray85

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:13 PM

Hi All,

Over the past few weeks I have been fighting with my computer to regain connectivity to the internet. Every time I boot the computer, my network connections disappear. I believe I have isolated the problem to the 'Network Connections' service (Netman) not starting properly. My theory is that when I removed a bunch of malware from the computer that some of the system files were corrupted as well. I am completely stuck on trying to figure this out and really want to try avoiding formatting the hard drive if at all possible. So far I have attempted the following:
  • Running SFC
  • Running CHKDSK
  • Removing the hardware and letting Windows automatically detect it and reinstall.
Attached are some screen shots of the errors I am getting. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:17 PM

It's a manual start for that service.

I would just go through the process of setting up the connection, using the Network Connection Wizard...and that should solve (if I'm thinking correctly).

Louis

#3 cray85

cray85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:27 PM

When I try to add a new connection I get a prompt saying that the broadband connection is already configured and should be ready for use. There is an option for help if your connection is not working properly but when I try to click it I get a message box that says the 'Help and Support' service is not started. This is another service which will not properly start :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:53 PM

My error, I didn't explain properly.

Deletete the existing connection...then set it up anew (that's the only way that Windows will allow it). Be sure to use the Network Wizard and if you are using a router, residential gateway is your mode of connection (not another system).

Louis

#5 cray85

cray85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:38 PM

I can't 'see' any of the network connections due to the fact that the service wont start. As such, I am unable to delete any of them. Any other ideas?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:26 PM

Do a repair install of XP.

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=913062

Louis

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

Are you using any Zone Alarm products that may have been updated prior to this issue?

If yes, would you stop/disable the TrueVector service and try again.

(shot in the dark!)

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users