Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Fan question.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cheesezilla

Cheesezilla

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:51 PM

Hey everyone, just a couple questions about RAM fans.

I noticed my motherboard had a power connector on it and it got me thinking about getting one.

I had taken my RAM out in the past after i had my PC on for about 10 min and its was pretty hot.

Do any of you guys use a memory card fan?

Is it worth getting one?

Here is a couple pictures on the inside of my PC.
Unfortunatelly it isnt really built for space lol.
The side swings open instead of the traditional PC of just being able to take the side off.

I don't really see a place that i can mount a fan :thumbsup: Perhaps you guys might see something i don't.)

http://img245.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=p1030031l.jpg

The RED= Power Connector
PINK= RAM slots

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gforce007

Gforce007

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:13 AM

have you over clocked or changed your FSB cycles or messed with the RAM's bus speed?
if yes then you need otherwise you don't need it....

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:30 AM

yes hes right
some rams come with heat sinks and stuff built in(from what i seen)

how many fans does the computer have ? and how many push air out of the computer ?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:17 PM

One thing to do is to secure all of the wiring neatly and out of the way. as much as possible, to increase air flow
Also remove the front bezel and clean the front air intake/fan (if there is one). A lot of people forget that one
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Cheesezilla

Cheesezilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:40 PM

There is two fans at the very back on my PC case.

They are both in front of the CPU's so i assume they intake air and blow it on the CPU's.

There is another fan which sits on my really long power supply. Its roughly at about the level of the video cards and stuff so i suppose its supposed to help them.

There is also a fan on my video card buy i dunno if that counts =D

That's really pretty much all of them.

Yea, the air circulation really isn't that great.

Also, i really dont have any idea what a Bezel is is Garm. Any chance someone might be able to elaborate on that?

Also, this PC was given to me by a friend so he might have had better RAM in it before me and never changed the settings back.

Is there a way i can clock them down? My RAM sticks are somewhat old 1GB Hynix sticks

#6 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:11 AM

Also, this PC was given to me by a friend so he might have had better RAM in it before me and never changed the settings back.

Is there a way i can clock them down? My RAM sticks are somewhat old 1GB Hynix sticks

the bios selects the settings it self
but he may have changed the settings so it over clocks the memory(go at a faster speed rate)
to look find out what speed your ram goes and then go into the BIOS and see if theirs a RAM over clocking page. then see if the speed is what its meant to be

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:10 PM

Also, i really dont have any idea what a Bezel is is Garm. Any chance someone might be able to elaborate on that?

Bezel is the front face of the case
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users