Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Templete: I need a CHEAP laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 guitarbutt

guitarbutt

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:09 PM

My budget for the new computer is: $200-$300

What are the primary uses for this computer: internet, music recording (simple stuff, no pro tools, etc)

What software do you intend on using on the computer?: sony acid music studio 7 (runs well on my dell latitude600 with a 40 gb hard drive)

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?: no games other than hearts and spider solitaire

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?: i usually have a few programs

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?: under 10 gb combined

I currently have a Dell Latitude D600 and it has 37.2 GB of usable hard drive. 512 Ram. It works alright, but I want a little faster computer and I need more space. I was looking into a $300 Toshiba, Compaq, and Acer lately.

If anyone knows a cheap, CHEAP computer that will work for what I need, can you tell me where to find it? I don't want a netbook, just a regular laptop. I know $2-300 won't get me much, but I don't need a gaming computer or anything great. Just something with some room (the ones I was looking at had 1 GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive). I think anything would be an upgrade from what I have, again, 512 ram, 40 gb hard drive. The brand doesn't matter to me at all, nor does appearance. Battery life really doesn't matter either. Just a reliable decent machine is what I'm after. Thanks a lot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:14 PM

From what I've seen...the only laptops you are going to find for that price are netbooks by some one.

http://news.cnet.com/what-is-a-netbook-computer/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook

As with so many things...buying one of these appears to come down to nothing but user preference for things which have nothing to do with a system's ability to differentiate itself from other PCs of the same genre.

http://www.walmart.com/browse/Computers/La...elected_items=+

Louis

#3 jba04

jba04

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:34 AM

Hello, I have a dell 1150 that works well. System model 1150: system type X86 based PC: Processor x86 family 15 model 2 stepping 9 genuineIntel 2664mhz: 2 g of ram: dvd burner: window xp pro... Will do a raw cleaning of the hard drive and reinstall dell os that came with it when i brought the laptop.

Edit: E-mail address was removed for your safety. Please, do not post your E-mail address in an open forum. This could lead to a lot more SPAM in your inbox, than you may want. ~tg

#4 leejaedong

leejaedong

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:04 PM

A netbook would be most suitable for you. You can try checking these systems:

ASUS Eee PC 1005HA

Lenovo S10-2

#5 dwighthe

dwighthe

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:11 PM

Try installing more ram. You'll be surprised how more ram will speed up your computer. The Latitude D600 can accept up to 2 GB ram. If you need more storage space and if portability is not a problem a USB hard drive can help.

Dwight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users