Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Music Recording

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 guitarbutt

guitarbutt

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:50 PM

I am in need of some device to record with. I thought a mixing board plugged into the microphone input would work fine, but I have heard from some places that recommend not using it (mic input) for this purpose. So I started looking into USB interfaces, and they are much more expensive. The cheapest one on Musicians Friend is $70 and it has 3.5/ 5 stars and the mixer I was looking at is $50 with a free mic and 4 or 4.5/5 stars.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why plugging a mixer into the mic input would be a bad thing, or if it would work. I'm not going to be recording loud stuff, just need to record some country demos.

I use Sony ACID music studio 7, and guitars use 1/4" cables. Mics would either be 1/4" or XLR.

Currently, I am using the microphone that is built in on my laptop to record with. It works alright, but it's definitely a "demo quality" sound. Listenable by all means, but I want something more professional sounding.

My laptop is a Dell Latitude D600, if that helps.

If anyone can tell me, again, the pros and cons of using the mic input (one mentioned that the computer's soundcard wouldn't work right?) or recommend any affordable products that I could use. I am looking to spend 50-60 dollars, but I'm not limited to that amount exactly. I really appreciate the help and would lie to thank anyone in advance for taking the time to help me on this.

Jerad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:29 PM

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why plugging a mixer into the mic input would be a bad thing, or if it would work. I'm not going to be recording loud stuff, just need to record some country demos.

My best guess would be that it would overdrive and blow the electronics on the sound card.

I plug at mixer directly into the mic port of the laptop I use. I don't see a problem in that as long as you don't over drive the sound/mic ports. I haven't graduated to Sony yet, but will head that way very soon. I use audacity - the free stuff - and have had good sucess with it. Now it isn't final cut quality, but it does suit my needs and sounds fine.

I adjust the mixer to my tastes and then restrict the output levels so it doesn't overdrive the recording software. My setup is in a church, but the music is just as loud :thumbsup:

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users