Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't figure out how to get into Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jessjess

Jessjess

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:21 PM

So I had a major virus took it to someone they had to wipe my computer but saved all my photos and media. windows was reinstalled and I had to re-activate it, bleepty thing is I lost my cd product Key so I couldn't do it... procrastination/ being gone for a couple of days now I need to activate to log in, but it says i have already activated it, and sends me back to the login.

Tried getting into safe mode by the F8 method but brings me to a boot menu where my only choices are to boot from hard drive or CD/dvd drive, I have tried every F button and can't figure it out. I have a Vista upgrade that i was gunna try and remedy the situation with but can't do that till i log into my windows XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:57 PM

<<I have a Vista upgrade that i was gunna try and remedy the situation with but can't do that till i log into my windows XP>>

There's no reason to log into XP...in order to do an upgrade to Vista...that I can think of.

Louis

#3 Jessjess

Jessjess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:21 PM

I turn on the computer go to the boot menu put in the upgrade disk choose boot from cd/dvd drive, go through the motions....
I get a Message when trying to install Vista that says "To use this product Key you entered, start the installation from your existing version of windows"
so i can't get into my existing so i figured if i could get into safe mode i might be able to do this.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:20 PM

Aaahhhh...I was wrong in thinking that the rules applying to XP...apply to Vista, http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2007/01/8717.ars, my error.

I suggest taking it back to the person who installed your current XP version...he can do a repair install which may take care of your issues.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 Jessjess

Jessjess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:45 PM

actually I figured it out by going to http://keznews.com/1916_How_to_login_to_an_expired_Windows following the instructions.

and fiddeling took alittle while but worked gloriously as we speak i am upgrading. whoot whoot

thank you for bothering to check out my question and thank you do letting me post, hopefully i won't need to come back here good night.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:20 PM

Thank you for that link :thumbsup:, glad you solved it, happy computing :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users