Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about a few XP Home Services

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 StrykerIsland

StrykerIsland

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:48 AM

I want to speed up my boot time on my PC, and to do this, I'm going through and eliminating any Services that I don't need. So far, I've gotten rid of quite a few, but it's still not quite where I want it to be (hangs on Windows' "welcome" screen for far too long).

There are a few Services that I'm unsure if I need or not, so I'm looking to you guys for input. My PC is used for surfing the web, burning music CDs for my wife, storing pictures of our kids and streaming content over the network to my PS3 in the living room.

That's it. So, with that in mind, which of these services do you know are unnecessary? Maybe you've disabled them and had no issues, that would be great to know. And if you know some can/need be set to Manual instead of Automatic, that would be helpful as well.

Application Layer Gateway
Background Intelligent Transfer
COM + Event System
Cryptographic Services
DCOM Server Process Launcher
DHCP Client
Event Log
HTTP SSL
IPSEC Services
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness (NLA)
Network Provisioning Service
Protected Storage
Remote Access Connection Manager
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Security Accounts Manager
Server
Shell Hardware Detection
SSDP Discovery Service
System Event Notification
System Restore Service
Task Scheduler
TCP/IP NetBios Helper
Telephony
Terminal Services
Themes
Universal Plug and Play Device Host
Windows Audio
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Windows Management Instrumentation
Workstation

There are a few others, but I already know what they do (antivirus, windows update, etc.)

But from the list above, any jump out at you that I don't need? Thank you for any help you can give me. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:56 PM

Download the following PDF. It is the ultimate advice on tweaking Windows. It was updated last month so is very relevent.
http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

Go to the top of any page on B/C and click Startups . I use it to pick and choose what I want to start up on boot. You could also Google them one at a time and make your decision, (BE CARE FULL) P/S wait for more input from other members. I have used http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html as bluesjunior has posted a long time ago. Having a printed version is best for me because I can mark down which item I did what with so I can go back and undo if need be.

#4 StrykerIsland

StrykerIsland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:51 PM

I'll check that out, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users