Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scan Alone?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 siouxdax

siouxdax

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:39 AM

Hello:
I have a sort of dumb question, but it's a question that gets a variety of answers. When scanning my hard drive with anti-virus software, can I do other tasks as it runs? For example, can I run the anti-virus and check email, surf online, etc. I ask this because I've received conflicting responses. I figured I would ask here since you all are more educated on these matters than my friends. :thumbsup:

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:53 AM

Windows dont stop so why should you? If AV is good it will let you work, wont eat up all resources. Might not be great to start up a game but whatever you normally do should not be a problem. Actually you can game since "game-mode" is in some AVs. They do all they can to not annoy users. What does your AV maker say about this? Anyway, if you want to scan a dead Windows use a live/rescue-cd.

If computer is infected and you are in the middle of a cleanup you should not touch too much, but cant think of reasons to pay much attention to scans under normal conditions.

You worry too much :thumbsup:

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:57 AM

Depends on how powerful your computer is. I don't believe mine is powerful enough to do that kind of multi tasking. So I normally start a scan, go out for breakfast, and by the time I get back, the scan is finished.

#4 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:02 PM

You worry too much :thumbsup:

LOL. You pegged me. I do worry too much. Both my desktop and laptop machines are my babies, and I treat them as such. I use Avast as my AV; it's been very good to me. Nothing slows down or stalls when I multi-task as the AV runs, so I guess I'm in the clear. Yeah, I wouldn't really try to run a heavy game...

Thanks so much for your input. It is very much appreciated! :flowers:

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:31 PM

i would add that if you are just doing a routine scan that may be acceptible. If you are scanning because you have a report of malware found. I would scan with interne disconnrcted , from safe mode after checking my AV for updates. As malware are easiest to remove if they are not active.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users