Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Windows Defender Counted as an AntiSpyware?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Evil Ira

Evil Ira

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:56 AM

Okay I have a Windows Vista laptop, with Windows Defender built-in, and it will not uninstall.

I currently have two antispyware's (three if you count Windows Defender), and from what I understand you can only have three antispywares on your system without them conflicting. I want to install another antispyware, but I am worried my computer will crash.

All help would be appreciated, I am a novice to understanding malware, but I would always like to learn. Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:53 AM

Apparently you can deactivate Defender in Vista but you can't uninstall it.

#3 Evil Ira

Evil Ira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:33 PM

So would this mean I can install a third antivirus? Thanks for your time.

#4 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:41 PM

You can have 10 installed. All that matters is conflicts coming from overlapping resident protection. If only on-demand scanners like free Malwarebytes there are no limits to number.

What AV, Suite are you using? Some of them will silently disable WD (like Norton), others will highly suggest you to it manually(like Avira), others dont care (like Avast). And some of that could depend on type of license, free or not. So may be you already have a problem?

If new to security business you might believe in more must be better just because... eventually you will go back to less is better ;) At least you already know there is more to this than just installing so go crazy. Who told you 3 is magic number for antispyware installations?

#5 Evil Ira

Evil Ira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:29 AM

@Bambo.

I am using avast! Free Edition 4.5. My antispywares are Spbot Search & Destroy (without the teatimer; doh!), and MalwareBytes Free Edition.

As for three being the magic number; I heard it from Yahoo Answers :thumbsup:. I moved to here, as this seems to be the place where the more knwledgable people are, and I could use with a lot of help, as I am new to all of this. Thank you for your help.

#6 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:51 AM

Well it is good to be suspicious of too much running. You can try search Avira forum for "Defender" - more important than Hijackthislog to them. Why they dont disable during install I dont know.

There could be some politics and money involved. Several companies will uninstall S&D for example. At least Mcafee, Trend, Kaspersky if I remember correctly. S&D is very popular and while it make sense for you to have an open mind regarding what to use, X company might look at it differently. Stick to their path will be their advice and goal. Sometimes BS, other times may be wise. So always a question to be aware of.

Edited by Bambo, 09 September 2009 - 11:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users