Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading ANCIENT comp.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 afunyun

afunyun

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:23 AM

Ok, atour house we have two computers. One is the kids, a dell circa 2001. The other is my custum rig.

The dell is what I need help with. It's pretty much on it's last legs and I'm working on getting a new one.

It came with:
Pentium 4 2.4 GHz (A very early one, one of the launch pentium 4's)
512 MB RAMBUS ram (Has since been upped to the mobos max of a gig)
80 GB HDD (NO Upgrading this, done)
ATI RADEON 9100 W/TV out. (AGP model.)
DVD Reader, CD Burner.

OK, suggestions on upgrades?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:45 PM

$$$? Maximum you intend to spend?

Louis

#3 afunyun

afunyun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:15 PM

Since it's temporary, about 300 bucks

#4 zedsed420

zedsed420

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:08 PM

What do you intend to use this pc for?

Asus Crosshair III  Motherboard, AMD PhenomII x4 965 custom watercooled XSPC Raystorm copper block,  8g Mushkin Blackline
2 XFX Radeon 4890's in Crossfire mode custom watercooled full copper EK blocks,  XSPC rs360 triple 120 radiator 
850w Antec full modular 80plus certified,  NZXT Switch Black case  Custom Watercooled Laing DDC w/ XSPC pumptop res

Tygon black tubing,  all Bitspower fittings and clamps, 2 Samsung 1T spinpoint F1's 

Windows 7 Professional x64 dual boot Ubuntu 12.10

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:08 PM

For $300...I could buy http://www.ascendtech.us/customkititems.as...=DTAM2A64X24400 and I would not have to worry about how ancient the system would be.

This system will be more than adequate for the needs/wants of the users, as long as they are not gaming fanatics or enthusiasts. The system that I'm on now has the same processor and I've never had any problems with ECS boards. In fact, I've purchased several systems from this vendor with no regrets at all and felt that I received fair value.

The problems with your Dell: It's over 8 years old, with 8-year-old technology that probably still works fine...but no longer has mainstream support or interest. AGP video is a thing of the past, most onboard video today is better. RAMBUS is definitely a thing of the past and expensive. Your P4 is acceptable but has less computing power than the CPU I listed in my link. Your PSU is probably underpowered a tad.

The CD-burner and hard drive can be moved to the new system for storage/backups...I would leave everything else related to that system...in the past.

In short, my suggestion is not to upgrade...move forward a little more into the present by spending the money you were willing to spend on patching that system.

I'm a frugal person of sorts...I don't suggest spending someone else's money any differently than I would my own. I see nothing but frustration in trying to maintain/upgrade any Dell system that's 8 years old.

Louis

#6 zedsed420

zedsed420

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:42 PM

I agree with Louis, although unlike Louis (all due respect) all 3 ECS boards I have used in the last 3 years have failed for one reason or another, The link Louis gave you looks good but I'd change the board to one of the Asus boards and you will still be close to your budget. I have found that Asus treats their customers a little better than ECS.

Asus Crosshair III  Motherboard, AMD PhenomII x4 965 custom watercooled XSPC Raystorm copper block,  8g Mushkin Blackline
2 XFX Radeon 4890's in Crossfire mode custom watercooled full copper EK blocks,  XSPC rs360 triple 120 radiator 
850w Antec full modular 80plus certified,  NZXT Switch Black case  Custom Watercooled Laing DDC w/ XSPC pumptop res

Tygon black tubing,  all Bitspower fittings and clamps, 2 Samsung 1T spinpoint F1's 

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:07 PM

I, OTOH, have had more ECS/PC Chips boards than Asus...and I haven't had any problems with either.

The websites for the respective boardmakers can be pretty irritating at times, but I have no complaints about products.

...and I think the quality of Asus boards...is vastly overrated, based upon a perception that may have been true at some time. I'm thinking that their Asrock boards are probably more worthy of praise..than their main boards.

I currently have 1 Asus board and 1 PC Chips board, I am happy with both (as usual).

But...I don't game, I don't overclock, I don't count the seconds to boot...I just like simple products that work and that's what I've experienced thus far; tomorrow may be different :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 zedsed420

zedsed420

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:56 PM

I agree. It's really user pref when it comes to the details of their PC. the best recommendation I could make would be to diligently research the products your thinking of buying and READ, READ, READ! Join various forums, check manufacturers websites and more than one reseller. there are so many to choose from that are excellent sources for hardware, information and software all over the web. This forum is a really good start but again, do your homework and your sure to end up with a purchase you'll be happy with. P.S. Louis, I would probably fall under the "fanatic" banner:)

Edited by zedsed420, 07 September 2009 - 09:02 PM.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:55 PM

I agree with what has been said so far. For $300 you won't get a gaming PC, but since it is temporary, that shouldn't matter much. There are several good motherboard manufacturers out there, such as Asus, ASRock, Gigabyte, XFX, and eVGA. Swapping out a motherboard on that PC would be a very extensive, and expensive, upgrade since you cannot reuse the RDRAM nor can you reuse the CPU. If you get a new motherboard, you will have to reinstall Windows or reactivate it. Herein lies a problem, Microsoft defines a PC based on a motherboard. So if you change motherboards, you have a new PC, at least that is how Microsoft views it. OEM Windows, the Windows that came with your Dell, cannot be ported from one PC (motherboard) to another due to the license. To remain within the license, a new copy a Windows must be installed. If you're looking at a less extensive upgrade to your current PC, you may be out-of-luck since RAMBUS memory is not on most consumer-level motherboards, current graphics cards probably take more power than your PC can provide, and your motherboard may not support any other Pentium 4 model.

3939.png

#10 Wee

Wee

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:26 PM

Dude for less than 300 bucks and even for the basics is way better than waisting time on that old thing: http://www.walmart.com/eMachines-EL1300G-0...5#ProductDetail

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:29 PM

That PC linked to is awful. The CPU is slow and ancient and the OS is crippled with it being Home Basic.

3939.png

#12 zedsed420

zedsed420

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:37 PM

I have to agree, I wouldn't buy that rig with borrowed money. If you really want to KNOW your system you should build it your self.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users