Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer continuously rebooting after Windows downloads

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 doccon

doccon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:26 AM

Firstly the computer (Vista; Dell Inspiron 530) got stuck on the windows update that have been heavily mentioned in various fora: “configuring updates stage 3 of 3. 0% complete” - the computer then restarts and the problem repeats. I learnt the F8 trick and the fact that I can get to System Restore from there. That worked for a while and I just refused to update windows. Occasionally it managed to update without me trying however!! I just repeated the System Restore. However now it won't even let me do that! I've been through every available restore point and I now get stuck on "finalizing file restore" and it never completes. Eventually have to press "restart" and we're back to the "configuring updates stage 3 of 3. 0% complete" again. Have been through every possible F8 option including "last known good configuration". Have restarted in Safe Mode - seems to just go back to the "configuring updates stage 3 of 3. 0% complete".
I then tried my Vista Reinstallation DVD and then when this didn't work followed the instructions to make a repair CD through the Neosmart website and burning it to a DVD with ImgBurn. The result is the same with both discs however. I request "repair" and select command prompt. I then get the prompt:
"X:\Sources>"
I put in: cd C\windows\winsxs
It then simply comes up with the orignal prompt again as if I hadn't entered anything and just pressed the return key!!
So frustrated now. I know very little about computers and would be really grateful for some expert advice.

Many thanks.
Doccon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Polantaris

Polantaris

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:19 PM

I had this issue once. Here's what you do:

If you are still at the installing updates issue:
Try getting into Safe Mode. If possible:
In the "C:\windows\winsxs" folder, there should be a file called pending.xml. Rename that file to pending.old. Now reboot your computer.
It should finish the updates correctly.

I'm pretty sure if you can get into Safe Mode you can get into the folder to get to this file.

If you're not able to get into Safe Mode, Windows' site has an indepth way to get this problem solved:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358
Go to Method 3.

Edited by Polantaris, 07 September 2009 - 02:22 PM.

#3 doccon

doccon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:19 PM

Thank you for this. Sadly if I try starting in Safe mode it simply goes straight to the "configuring updates stage 3 of 3. 0% complete” cycle that it does in normal mode. I have already tried option 3 from the URL that you provided. I tried with my Vista Reinstallation DVD and then when this didn't work followed the instructions to make a repair CD through the Neosmart website and burning it to a DVD with ImgBurn. The result is the same with both however. I request "repair" and select command prompt as your instructions say. I then get the prompt:
"X:\Sources>"
I put in: cd C\windows\winsxs
It then simply comes up with the orignal prompt again as if I hadn't entered anything and just pressed the return key!!

Any other suggestions - I'm still no further forward and can't get System Restore to work either - just gets stuck as I mention above.

#4 GlesgaGal

GlesgaGal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:28 AM

Hi, I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one! I seem to have the exact same problem - and can't get any help that works! I too have been doing constant restores, that work for about 24-48hrs. I can get to the supposed offending file "pending.xml" but am not able to change its name, delete or anything. Even tho I reloaded Vista completely a few weeks ago [for sep problem], and I am the administrator - the "pending.xml" file, under properties, says the only person allowed to edit it is 'Trusted Installer' - whoever that may be!!

I'll keep trying, but please let me know if you get a solution elsewhere. It appears this has been a problem with Vista for a few years; I just wish somebody could come up with some 'idiot proof' instructions to help those of us that are not computer whizzes; and just want to be able to log on!!

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users