Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TV tuner card/S-vid out/more options...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cpumelter

cpumelter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:26 AM

Guess I should have asked this question first, instead of posting other threads concerning S video out, but I digress...

A few years ago I had an ATI All in Wonder TV tuner card, & I played around with it a bit. We had cable at that time, & the quality was acceptable. What is the deal with them these days? Is there a "free" tv option that one can use with these cards?

That is basically what I am looking for at this point - free tv through my pc & then out to my tv. Maybe not really using a tuner card necessarily, as I guess I can pick up streams from the many "tv on your pc" websites, etc. Not being up on the current crop of all this, I don't really have a feel for;

1 - What is available now.
2 - What would be the best way to do this (quality wise)
3 - What is the least expensive way to go about this.
4 - Free options

I am not really looking for movie theater Hi Def quality here, just a decent watchable tv pic, comparable to cable or satellite. I can either run an Ethernet cable from my router to the pc beside the tv, or install a wireless card in the pc.

Comments/Suggestions/Your experiences are all welcome.

Thank you very much! :thumbsup:

Edited by cpumelter, 07 September 2009 - 06:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:39 PM

Well...I'm a bit cynical when it comes to the concept of "free" products with the same quality as a "paid" product. I noticed earlier to day that some of these sites offering TV on the Internet...want some bucks for a program installation. That doesn't sound "free" to me.

I (too) have had ATI AIWs (7500 and 9600)...the card itself is not the costly item, it's the cable service. But, if the user is already paying for broadband...there's no doubt in my mind that anyone who wants to record (not watch) TV fare (sports, programs, movies) should get a capture card (not necessarily an ATI product). A capture card with a PCI-e connection.

The capture card connects to the sam cable that provides reception on a TV, cost of expenditure is whatever a splitter might cost thsee days. And coax cable to the card.

I have to laugh when I see your post...the idea of watching TV via my computer...on a TV screen...just doesn't make any sense to me. The monitor will reflect a better picture...I'm a bit slow much of the time :thumbsup:.

As for streaming TV options...a query using Google should prove informative.

Louis

#3 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:50 PM

I have to laugh when I see your post...the idea of watching TV via my computer...on a TV screen...just doesn't make any sense to me. The monitor will reflect a better picture...I'm a bit slow much of the time :thumbsup:.

As for streaming TV options...a query using Google should prove informative.

Louis

I don't quite understand... the signal from the pc to tv is very acceptable quality, from my experience with the S vid connection. If I want to watch tv programs, I would rather watch them on my 32" tv, lounging on the sofa instead of sitting at my desk watching it on a 19" or so monitor.

I have found a few free tv sites so far that you can stream the channel, no software download necessary. But I have to initiate everything with the mouse/etc. I can do that, I suppose...I was wondering if there was a more "TV friendly" way of doing it, basically the same thing as a tuner card idea, except tuning the channels over the internet, instead of using cable/sat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users