Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freeze Ups, Slow Boot Up [Moved]

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scruffbag

scruffbag

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:49 AM

It seems my original post has disapeared into the ether!

I'l try again

I have recently been experiencing freeze ups and slow boot ups while both online and offline (ethernet cable unplugged from router)

I originally look for help in another forum where various things were discussed with the result that I think I have excluded psu problems, but am not convinced of this, see last post here, where the full topic can also be viewed.

I am running Win XP SP2 with 1gb ram and an AMD athlon 3700+ 2.19 Ghz processor. attached by USB are two external drives and printer all with there own power supply as well as a cannon scanner which draws power through the usb port.

When the problems started I was running Kaspersky Internet Security which automatically updates virus defs and win patrol. Since then I have also installed Ad-Aware which is now running. I used to use Spyware Blaster which is still installed but not normaly used.

Over the last week I have run two full scans with Kaspersky, two with Trend Housecall, two with Ad-aware and two with Spybot S&D. None of these scns showed anything nasty, just a ew cookies.

Have also run chkdsk results of which are below

Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive
Cleaning up 1497 unused index entries from index $Sll of file 0x9
Cleaning up 1497 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9
Cleaning up 1497 unused security descriptors...........

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap
Windows has made corrections to the file system...........

0 Kb in bad sectors

I hope I'm making sense here, any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yes, in case anyone is wondering I am typing this on my wife's laptop, which incidently is connected to the same network but wirelessly, and is showing no problems at all.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:24 PM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 scruffbag

scruffbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:00 AM

OK, thanks for that.

As an addendum to my original post here, I can rule out PSU problems.

I installed a new one which made not the slightest difference. PC is still freezing up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users