Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD 0x7B, System will not start.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Not me

Not me

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:30 AM

Hi,
Well I have another problem computer. This one I know very little to nothing about its history.
Dell inspiron 1000 laptop ( I know not wroth the time ) running XP pro and was made in 04.
The problem is the computer will not start after a 60MB hard drive up grade. In setup it shows to have 512MB of memory.Problem is, that is twice the memory that's installed. If the memory stick is removed (only has one slot) it shows to still have 256MB of memory.
Since the code is for a memory related fault,I'm wondering why there is memory shown when none is installed.

When trying to restart the computer over and over,it will sometimes show the windows screen for a split second like it is trying to start. I can't boot from the CD so repair or reinstall is out of the question. It just goes right to the blue screen.

I had to use another Dell to install the OS on the drive because the problem computer would not boot from the install CD. I've installed the drive in 2 other computers and they boot up.

Other codes are (0xF79E6528,0x00000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Any ideas of what I could be missing?

As always,thank you for any and all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:35 AM

Try these in the following order ...

In BIOS, change hard drive mode from ACPI to ATA/IDE ...
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156593

http://thinkinginpixels.com/quick-fixes/fi...ror-0x0000007b/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:54 AM

The way I read the manual, it comes with 256M integrated memory (integrated = built in & unremovable), has one expansion slot that will hold another 256M for a maximum of 512M. 32M is usually used for shared video, so XP may show: maxK-32M.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...n/Y69601LRs.pdf

Integrated memory 256-MB DDR 1
Memory module connector one SODIMM socket
Memory module capacity 256 MB
Memory type 2.5-V SODIMM
Minimum memory 256 MB
Maximum memory 512 MB

When talking memory upgrades, here is a reliable place to look:

http://www.crucial.com/

This jives with what the Dell manual says - perhaps even more detail.

Stupid BSOD... :flowers:

Edit: Can't tell a K from an M. :thumbsup:

Edited by joseibarra, 07 September 2009 - 03:17 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 Not me

Not me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

Thank you all.
Very interesting information. Glad to hear that I wasn't doing something incorrect with the memory. Sneaky suckers.

As for the drive setting,when in setup,the only choice given for the drive is "AUTO" or "USER".
When in USER mode there does not seem to be any choice of drive type. The screen that shows "TYPE" lists [NONE] and will not allow changes.
So I can't figure how to change the drive type. The machine doesn't have a floppy drive,so using the f6 install disk isn't an option.

Another strange thing. When the drive from another Dell is installed into the problem computer, the computer boots to Windows. It states the system is not active,which I understand,but I can access the system through the safe mode option.

So...The drive from the computer that was used to install the Windows onto the non-working drive will work in the problem computer, as did one other drive I tried.

If the BIOS isn't set correct,wouldn't that make it so no drive of the same type would work in the computer?

???

Thanks for all the great help. :thumbsup: If nothing else,I'm getting a lot of reading in...

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:21 PM

If the BIOS isn't set correct,wouldn't that make it so no drive of the same type would work in the computer?

That sounds logical to me (but that does not necessarily mean much?).

About all I can suggest in that case is that you try the thinkinginpixels link that was provided.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#6 Not me

Not me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:14 PM

After exhaustive trials and tests,I've come to the conclusion that the hard drive is not going to work in this computer.
I was able to install Windows 98, but nothing worked right. The keyboard acted really strange and no programs would install because the system couldn't find the CD drive.The CD drive was listed as C:.
Something must of happened to either the hard drive or the computer that it is not allowing the BIOS to recognize the hard drive.
I installed the hard drive into 4 different computers,
.A Dell,Toshiba,Compaq and an HP.The drive worked fine in all.
Anyway,I have to give up. It became a time consuming challenge,one I lost. Oh well,can't win them all. Another project for the back shelf.

Listing this one as unresolved...for now.

Thank you for all the help from all that replied.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:23 AM

Diagnostic on the referenced hard drive?

Louis

#8 Not me

Not me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:01 AM

Well,it's working.
Not sure but I think the keyboard is shot. The A won't work unless the l is pressed at the same time. This is fun.
Here a sample.( Hey I'm getting better at this ). The a pushed without the L comes out- asdf|jk, Here's what the q does-qweru.

Neat isn't it? There's more but you get the picture.

I'll post the whole story with my other computer, to hard without the keyboard working.

Good night \ morning.

Back again,
Well as I said the computer is now working,but it has problems. The diagnostics can't be found,and when updates are downloaded,they will not install.
A warning showing code 0251: stated the system CMOS checksum was bad,?,

To get this going,the hard drive was installed into a Dell 600m. Then win98 was installed onto the drive. The win98 did not install all the way for some reason that is still unknown.
The hard drive was then installed into the problem Dell 1000. The win98 system booted! I tried at this point to finish the installation of the win98. The setup kinda finished,leaving the system unstable.

Then the XP installation Cd was installed.It booted! The rest was a normal installation. Only the quirks are left to figure out.

Guess I have some reading to do,so I best get to it.

Thanks again for all the fine help and information. :thumbsup:

Case closed.

Edited by Not me, 11 September 2009 - 01:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users