Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HDD trick!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cheesezilla

Cheesezilla

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:16 AM

Some of you may already know this. But im sure there is someone out there who doesn't.

I was talking to my friend today and we got talking about external hard drives.

He was telling me the other day that he took one apart just to see what was on the inside.

Turns out, all an External HDD is, is a regular Hard drive (IDE,SCSI,SATA) with a USB thingy connected to it.

So really all a External HDD is is, is a normal HDD with a casing on it.

All i did was remove some screws, take out the HDD and remove the USB attachment. and WALA i not only a hard drive i can put in my computer, but its also faster!

My friend told me that the transfer rate or speed ( can't remember ) is slowed down by USB because only so much can travel through the cable.

Hope this helps!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:26 AM

Not only that, but you can make your own external drive from a standard hard drive by using an IDE/SATA to USB adapter (which are pretty cheap!)

Your friend is right when he said that USB isn't as fast as a PATA or SATA connection. A USB 2.0-connected drive will realistically achieve a maximum data-transfer rate of about 40-50 MBps (megabytes per second) An old PATA connection, by comparison will hit between 66MBps and 80MBps while newer SATA drives get up to near 150MBps.

USB 3.0 is coming out soon, though, and purports to reach speeds of up to 512MBps. I can hardly wait!

#3 chrisatbluescreen

chrisatbluescreen

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:19 PM

dide he say 512! :thumbsup:
"What I cannot create, I do not understand"
Richard Feynman
Posted Image

#4 batya7

batya7

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:52 PM

@Amazing Andrew -

I need to reformat my 5 year old computer because it is so slow on startup I can take a walk around the block before it's ready for use! I also want to upgrade fro 512 M RAM...

So I was looking for a cheap external HDD, then you come along and say how "you can make your own external drive from a standard hard drive by using an IDE/SATA to USB adapter (which are pretty cheap!)."

HOW???

I just want to be able to back up all my fun files and programs and lobotomize my old guy.

Or, do you have an even better (and cheap) way?

Edited by batya7, 13 December 2009 - 05:53 PM.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. "

(Clarke's third law) Arthur C. Clarke, English physicist & science fiction author (1917 - 2008), "Profiles of The Future", 1961

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:36 PM

HOW???

By combining a harddrive with an IDE/SATA to USB adapter, or you could go the harddrive/enclosure route, which can usually be built cheaper than a pre-built external harddrive.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:57 AM

I would just like to add that getting an enclosure with a fan and it's own power source are better choices
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:31 AM

USB 3.0 is coming out soon, though, and purports to reach speeds of up to 512MBps.

If that so, than I hope that Usb 2.0 will be supported.
When is that not the case and everything will be working with Usb 3.0, than have I a problem.
Because, I have 2 external Hd.'s with support Usb 2.0 and if I said, when Usb 2.0 will be not supported anymore, than I will be not happy.

:thumbsup:

#8 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:39 AM

USB 3.0 is coming out soon, though, and purports to reach speeds of up to 512MBps.

If that so, than I hope that Usb 2.0 will be supported.
When is that not the case and everything will be working with Usb 3.0, than have I a problem.
Because, I have 2 external Hd.'s with support Usb 2.0 and if I said, when Usb 2.0 will be not supported anymore, than I will be not happy.

:thumbsup:

Since USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with USB 1.0 & 1.1, it stands to reason that USB 3.0 is also backwards compatible. A USB 2.0 device plugged in to a USB 3.0 interface will work fine, albeit at USB 2.0 speeds. In order to take advantage of the speeds USB 3.0 is capable of you will need a USB 3.0 device and a USB 3.0 interface to plug it in to.

Edited by strolln, 20 May 2010 - 07:40 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#9 BeachBumLI

BeachBumLI

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:38 PM

HOW???

By combining a harddrive with an IDE/SATA to USB adapter, or you could go the harddrive/enclosure route, which can usually be built cheaper than a pre-built external harddrive.

The adapter for the power plug on my girlfriends laptop broke, and she managed to snap one of the chips off the mother board while we were attempting to re-bend the pins and resolder it back into place. She bought one of the adapters and turned it into a cheap external hard drive, works great and was certainly better than scrapping it!
Dell Inspiron 1520--Intel Core 2 Duo/1.5 GHz--2 GB RAM--230 GB HD--Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family--Windows XP--Avast! AV Free--Spybot S&D--Malwarebytes--Hijackthis--Chrome (primary browser) Firefox and IE (rarely used)

#10 jaydeee

jaydeee

• Banned Spammer
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:17 AM

cool!
I myself like customizing my usb drives.
Additionally I observe that most of pre-built usb drives are smaller than market available drives, so customizing is cool for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users