Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I install XP Pro 2 onto my new harddrive?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 enduser

enduser

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 22 July 2005 - 10:50 PM

I got a new harddrive because of problem with old harddrive. this is the first time to install an os for me so i'm not sure what to do...

i have set my bios to cd boot first and put in my xp disk but i only get to dos prompt- a:\ , so i enter drive's letter d:\. i've tried to enter different commands - "setup", "setupxp".... but nothing is working. i think i should be able to get to the gui screen for setup but i don't know how. does anyone have suggestions, or better yet, a step-by-step tut?

thanks ahead for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 23 July 2005 - 07:31 AM

Hi a stupid question did you format for windows, my computer, right click,manage, disk management, then click on drive and let it format it. then install windows once disk has been recognised.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 enduser

enduser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:25 AM

Hi a stupid question did you format for windows, my computer, right click,manage, disk management, then click on drive and let it format it. then install windows once disk has been recognised.

1st there's no stupid questions... we're all in some faze of learning...
2nd... being a brand new drive with nothing on it, there isn't anything yet, meaning without windows, there's no my computer!

let me explain in greater detail what my problem is:

i actually built a new computer (when the old one died).

specs:
motherboard:  msi ati aio amd socket 939
cpu:  athlon 64 3000+ socket 939
mem:  1gb pc3200 ddr
case:  xion 2 w/ 450w p/s and 3 large case fans
2 cd/dvd burners
4 harddrives (in all i will have almost 1 tb of harddrive space)

i'm using the smallest drive - 80 gb western digital as the os drive. after i install the os, i will partition it and not install any appz on this drive.

but my problem:

why, when i boot the install cd, do i get a this "caldera" dos startup screen that ends with a dos prompt? and what the h*ck do i do with that? shouldn't i get a gui windows screen?

this has been frustrating me for too long now. i want my new pewt.

who knows about a clean os install and about how to bypass/override or whatever this dos screen?

#4 pwgib

pwgib

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:32 AM

How to clean install WinXP

Scroll down the page to the step by step instructions on how to clean install. Post back if you have any problems.

PW
PW

#5 enduser

enduser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2005 - 12:09 PM

How to clean install WinXP

Scroll down the page to the step by step instructions on how to clean install. Post back if you have any problems.

PW

this is a great tut but it's not mentioning my problem.....

1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM and reboot the computer
If you see a message about hitting any key to boot the CD, do so now.

Otherwise, you will see a message about Setup inspecting your system.

so far so good... but then when i try the next:

2. MS-DOS portion of Setup begins
In the first stage of Setup, you will see a series of blue and gray MS-DOS-based screens. In the first step, you will be asked to press F6 if you need to install any third-party or RAID drivers.

Then, you can press F2 to initiate the Automated System Recovery (ASR) tool, a new XP feature that lets you recover non-booting systems from XP Setup. Ignore this.

Finally, Setup will load the files it needs to start a bare bones version of XP. This may take a few minutes.

i don't get this part, i get a black dos screen named caldera dr-dos that runs thru a series of things until i get a dos prompt - a:\

i enter d:\, then try "setup" command but get "this command or file is not reconized"

i don't seem to be able to get past this prompt.

#6 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 23 July 2005 - 12:33 PM

Hi When i built my new computer i put my old harddrive in so did not have trouble you are getting. when I put in my old hard drive which i was told to do by the computer shop i got the 2nd hard drive, and motherboard. so that i did not have that trouble.
The A: that you are seeing is for either to recognise the motherboard or harddrive, is there a way for you to log onto site of motherboard and download onto floppy which is a drive the drivers you want, also i agree with you this should not come up, also have you made any of the drives you have installed slaves.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#7 enduser

enduser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:46 PM

Hi When i built my new computer i put my old harddrive in so did not have trouble you are getting. when I put in my old hard drive which i was told to do by the computer shop i got the 2nd hard drive, and motherboard. so that i did not have that trouble.
The A: that you are seeing is for either to recognise the motherboard or harddrive, is there a way for you to log onto site of motherboard and download onto floppy which is a drive the drivers you want, also i agree with you this should not come up, also have you made any of the drives you have installed slaves.

thnx the don.

i did get a drivers and utilities disk, but it also won't boot up. :thumbsup:

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:56 PM

Did you get any software packed in with the Hard Drive?

#9 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:01 PM

Have you tried to boot with the Floppy Boot Disks.
Be sure to install any raid drivers if your system needs them.

Windows XP Home Edition Utility: Setup Disks for Floppy Boot Install

Windows XP Professional Utility: Setup Disks for Floppy Boot Install

#10 klink1956

klink1956

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 06:42 AM

Hey,
If you are using a WD drive for the os .. they come with a CD called " Western Digital Data Life Guard Tools" use that. Boot to it and follow the instructions. It will format,partition and work with your other drives as well.
It works great..I've installed several WD drives without a hitch.
You may want to disconnect the other hard drives first,install the os and add them after.
You should be able to use the cable select(jumper help is on the cd) option for your jumper settings..if not make sure you have it set to master and adjust your other jumpers accordingly including the optical drives.
Make sure you have your boot drive connected to the correct cable end and the right plug on the mobo.You may have to check the mobo instructions to be sure ..but the board should be marked.

Hope this helps.
Remember to post back.

Bob
Where ever you go.................. There you are

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:37 AM

You shouldn't be getting A:\> unless you have a floppy in the drive. Did you get a disk with the new hard drive?

When you get to A:\> type in:

Dir

And press enter. Post back with the result.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users