Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My screen doesn't work except in safe mode.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 4lf13

4lf13

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:22 PM

Please help, whenever I turn my computer on, the screen goes black just before the login screen. The computer still works, as it still makes all the noises it would normally make, eg. the login noise if I type my password. If I hit F8 when the computer first starts, it comes up with lots of options, one of those is 'last known good configuration'. That use to work and fix it, but now it no longer does. The computer also works perfectly fine on safe mode. My OS is Vista business, I have an Intel Core 2 Duo processor 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 32-bit OS. If I go into control panel in safe mode and go to problem reports and solutions, it says there is a problem with my graphics driver, but I can't find a way to update it. That's my summary, if you think you can solve it, below is more detailed.
I use my laptop at school. One day I closed it (which locks my computer), but when I opened it, the screen wouldn't work, but it still made all the regular sounds, such as the music I was playing. When I turned it on and off, it worked up until just before the login screen. This would keep happening unless I ran it in safe mode. Eventually I took it to the school IT department and they fixed it.
Quite a bit later the same thing happened. This time, while in safe mode, when the help menu came up, I searched around a bit until I found that hitting f8, when the computer starts, gives you a boot up menu. I tried this and one of the options was last known good configuration (LKGC), I chose this and the computer worked normally.
Whenever the problem came I just used this option and all was well. Sometimes the problem would just happen when I turn my computer on.
One day, having closed my laptop, I opened it and it was fine, but after logging in, I would see my desktop for a few seconds and then the screen would stop working. Even LKGC wouldn't work. This was OK because I could just my backup account and copy all my files into it. This happened about a month ago.
Finally, a couple of weeks ago, the main problem occurred, but not even LKGC worked. In the mean time I have been using safe mode and using various help sites, but none have replied to my posts.
I hope all this helps.
P.S. Is it normal for me not to be able to download drivers in safe mode (eg drivers for a USB flash drive)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Polantaris

Polantaris

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:47 PM

To me, this sounds like an issue with graphics card drivers.
When you go into Safe Mode, hit to go into Safe Mode with Networking. Without it you cannot go on to the internet (Which is also why you can't download drivers when you hook up a USB Drive...I think it usually goes to Windows Update, but cannot connect because you are in Safe Mode without Networking).
Go to the site for your graphics card's drivers and try installing the drivers fresh.

I'm not the best at this, but I read your post and that's what I think is wrong. I could be wrong. If it's not the problem, then I don't know and sorry.

#3 4lf13

4lf13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:16 AM

I've just tried that and it doesn't work, any other ideas?

#4 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:46 AM

Have you tried system restore.To restore to a point before your problems started.You don't need to go online to use that.

#5 4lf13

4lf13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:49 PM

I would, but I don't have a point to restore to. I will do so in future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users