Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Sloww

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yass

yass

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:06 PM

Hey everyone. I've been running vista. It used to be fast. My lil bro installed a bunch of games but then uninstalled them and the computer is slower then earlier months. CPU Usage is always jumping up to like crazy numbers like 80+ randomly. What do I do? :thumbsup: I need to free up GB. Even after uninstalling all the games the GB isn't back to what it was before :flowers: I remmber on XP I used something called seqoia is there anything like that for XP?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Evil Ira

Evil Ira

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:22 PM

Hey man,

I am a relative novice when it comes to security, and I am sure some of the great mods will be able to help you out more with this, but I'll give you some advice anyway.

First off, download MalwareBytes, and SUPERAntiSpyware. Scan with each, as one programme will detect what the other misses.

Secondly, download avast!, or Avira (but not both) and perform a scan. If you already have an Antivirus installed, and want to install one of these free Anti Viruses, I would reccomend you uninstall it via Add or Remove Programmes, or for the stubborn buggers, use Revo Uninstaller.

Next, download Ccleaner. You might have loads of unused, and unneeded files clogging up your computer, taking up space and speed. Remove all the stuff you know you need removing, like your internet cache, or temporary internet files. However, I do not reccomend you remove the advanced stuff, or clean the registry if you do not know what you are doing.

After that, I would reccomend you install a firewall, such as Zonealarm, or Online Armour. Again, I would not reccomend you run more than one firewalls at once. This will block nasties trying to come into your computer.

Finally, if you have anymore questions, including question about Rootrepeal (to remove rootkits), ComboFix, and HiJack This, all of which I do not know much about, I would reccomend you ask a member of the HiJack This team, or a Moderator.

Oh, and make sure to read the stickies here at Bleeping Computer, they could come in handy.

#3 yass

yass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:49 PM

I did the spyware and malware but I'll try the other stuff. Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:58 PM

I remmber on XP I used something called seqoia is there anything like that for XP?

Sequoia view:
http://w3.win.tue.nl/nl/onderzoek/onderzoe...on/sequoiaview/
There is also Windirstat
http://windirstat.info/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users