Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This Version of Windows is Not Genuine?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Provision

Provision

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:12 PM

Hello, I'm having a problem here. I recently had a problem with my computer being infected with a rootkit, which was removed thanks to the help of a wonderful person on this forum. After that I went on a 3 week vacation, when I came back and plugged in my pc I went straight to microsoft.com to get any updates that may be available. It asked me to validate my version of windows and I clicked "yes". It then claimed that my version was not genuine and that baffles me. I have had this computer for years, almost 4 now.

Since then I've had about 2 major problems with it. One being a power surge in my place and having to replace the motherboard, hard drive and power supply. I hired someone to install them for me, at my request he installed Windows XP Pro (I had Home before this happened). I placed my important files back onto my computer and everything was fine(this was a little over a year ago).

Since then I would check microsoft.com occasionally and get updates from there. I would have to go through the validation process and it would pass my version of windows as genuine every time. Last month I somehow got a rootkit on my machine, which as I explained above was removed thanks to the help of Buckeye_Sam. I admit that I had not updated some of my anti-virus programs nor gotten an update from microsofts' site in a while, and I suppose that probably did me in. Anyway after the ordeal I went and updated all my programs, and went to microsoft to get updates, went through the validation process and passed! This was on August 12 of this year. On the 14th I went on vacation and I just got back yesterday and I am welcomed with this not so pleasant message. I'm baffled, any help/ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:28 PM

Sounds like something to be discussed with Microsoft, IMO.

FWIW: I agree with the assessment made regarding validity...Home was installed, someone installed Pro...you probably reflect a home license at PA record-keeping.

In any case, the personnel at PA are the ones you need to be addressing, IMO.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474

Louis

#3 Provision

Provision
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:35 PM

That is true, I will be. Thanks for the response.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:20 PM

The Windows Genuine Advantage Validation system seems to be somewhat prone to false positives. A call to Microsoft's WGA support people ought to clear it all up.

Take a look at Microsoft's Genuine Software Help page: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/...?displaylang=en

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users