Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing my mobo

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Craig Ingle

Craig Ingle

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:26 PM

Please help, I currently have an Asus p4p800-VM mobo, I also have a P4 3.0 processor. My mobo sound went about a month ago, the memory that I bought doesn't work past 2G, (it is supposed to take up to 4G) (plus the video card that is on board is old and won't let my wife play online games. I need to up grade I know, but don't have alot of $$$. I want to keep the same processor (if possible) the 4G of memory (sd) (if possible) and hopefully have onboard video (to be able to play online games) if possible.
I am looking for rock solid suggestions and if possible places to purchase. I am looking to only extend the life of what I have, at least 1/2 years until I have a good enough job to buy a new puter. Again anything will help make a decision. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:08 PM

FWIW: The manual says that your board has 4 RAM sockets, each capable of 1GB, http://joule.bu.edu/~hazen/LinuxCluster/e1338_p4p800-vm.pdf

http://3btech.net/asp4so47840m6.html

http://3btech.net/asp4so47840m9.html

http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic=M...amp;eq=&Tp=

Louis

#3 Craig Ingle

Craig Ingle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:45 PM

Thanks Louis, I appreciate the manual stuff, and I realize that it is capable of holding 4G of ram, it doesn't work with 4G. My OS is XP Pro, which allows more memory to be used as I understand it. Really, all I am looking for is video to play online games for my wife, to be able to keep the processor, and to be able to use ALL the memory that I have that is available. If that is not possible, I don't know. the boards you showed me, (are these an upgrade?) or a lateral move using the same stuff I asked for? I am not that great when it comes to comparing things like this. If I can't, I can't. I understand. Again, any additional help would be appreciated. Thanks again Louis

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:57 PM

This may(?) help with the memory issue.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,292 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:02 PM

You stated that you are just looking for a replacement...I provided 3 motherboards that appear to be available that are in consonance with the hardware that you currently employ.

It's unrealistic (in my view) to speak of boards which are fading fast as far as consumer presence go...in terms like "lateral" or "upgrade." They are a vanishing breed and these are just some of the vanishing breed that happened to be available as of yesterday.

Nobody is making 478-pin boards these days, so you have to pretty much take what is available from vendors who happened to have 478-pin boards in their inventories.

Or take a chance on buying a used board via eBay.

You can compare the specs and determine if those boards are better than your current board...it's your decision.

Me...I always prefer a working system to a nonworking system :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users