Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD and Screen Freezes during high-load.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Polantaris

Polantaris

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:17 PM

I'm having a lot of issues recently with my computer freezing or getting a BSOD whenever I am doing something that is high load on my computer, like playing a game. I'll be playing a game like Mass Effect or Aion and while playing, the computer will either completely freeze up, unable to do anything and my sound will repeat the last second or so of sound, and I have to do a hard reboot to do anything again, or my computer will get a BSOD, do a memory dump, and reset itself.

I have tried many things to fix this problem...I'm not exactly sure what is wrong though. I have updated drivers, turned down settings to bare minimum, and done virus and spyware checks (both came out with nothing). Nothing seems to change.
I only ever have these problems, though, while I am doing something like playing a game. It doesn't make sense to me that anything else could be the cause than the increased usage of the computer from playing these games. It seems to be more often when it is a more advanced (graphically)/recent game, like Aion, compared to an older game.

Normally, when I get a BSOD I get one of those error messages when I reboot that say "Windows has recovered from a serious error...etc." and sometimes I get a helpful report on a problem, but I never get that message anymore and I cannot figure out the problem. I have attached a dxdiag.txt in hopes that someone can help me figure out this problem.

If anyone needs anymore information from me, I'd be glad to give it.
Thanks in advance.

Edit: A small extra note that's important: The lower the settings, the less frequent the crashes. For example, if I play Aion on highest settings, it will crash in minutes, but if I put the game on lowest settings, it will take hours to crash. I had the game on earlier after this post with everything on Lowest. I played fine for 4 hours, then went out to a store with the game on and came back to a frozen screen. In reverse, when I started playing it this morning, it was on near highest settings and crashed every other minute, I was lucky to have logged in before it crashed. It seems, though, that no matter what it will eventually crash. The only variables are how long it takes and what type of crash I will receive.

Attached Files

Edited by Polantaris, 06 September 2009 - 05:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:31 PM

P17.sys appears to be the problem, SoundBlaster drivers.

#3 Polantaris

Polantaris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

What exactly would be a solution to it? I looked it up, apparently p17.sys is a major part of the drivers. My onboard sound card is useless...caused worse problems, so I bought this sound card. I usually have no problems with Sound Blaster.

Any info about a way to fix it?

#4 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:20 AM

Creative have a good support site and forum for troubleshooting http://support.creative.com/

#5 Polantaris

Polantaris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:22 PM

Just wondering...do you have any exact information as to why p17.sys would cause these problems, other than it's not digitally signed? I have a feeling that if I contact Creative about it they will assume it's something else...a sound card sounds like an unlikely reason for this problem...and you haven't exactly given any exact info on why this would be an issue (Not that I'm not grateful...I appreciate any and all help you give me =) ).

#6 Polantaris

Polantaris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:29 PM

Are you sure this issue is due to the sound card/drivers? I just got a BSOD a minute ago...the only thing I could read before a reboot was: "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA"...doesn't sound like an error that would come up from the sound drivers.

#7 Polantaris

Polantaris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:40 PM

I couldn't find an answer to this and I have a spare Sound Card around. Problem is that the jacks for the sound card have no color. I have to ask, what do each color on a 5.1 Speaker system represent? I have Green, Black, and Pink on my speaker system, and I have the manual for my other sound card, but I do not know where to plug them in, does anyone know? My PC is annoying to get to to have to constantly switch these around so if anyone knows and I can do it only once it would be wonderful.

Edited by Polantaris, 14 September 2009 - 02:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users