Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop C000021a (Fatal System Error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VampChik_999

VampChik_999

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:07 PM

Hi. I'm new here and I need help!

About a month or two ago I got the "Blue Screen of Death" that said the following:

Stop: C000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0XC0000005 (0X00000000 0X00000000).
The system has been shut down.

I don't know how this happened but I have a hunch:

I accidentally installed that trojan Personal Antivirus onto my SONY VAIO laptop after tryng to exit out of the dialog box that advertised it. Everysince then, it had been lagging, saying that there were several viruses in it, and even not letting me enter the Internet. Then one day I turned it on and it rebooted by itself and when it did, that blue screen came out. Eversince then, I was not able to go into my desktop and only the loading screen.

I learned that by pressing F8 and choosing Safe Mode worked for many people but it didn't for me. It would change to Safe Mode but I could not get any further than the loading screen when the screen woud pop up. Desparate, I tried everysingle option on the Windows Adavnced Options Menu, but all of them had the same results.

Can someone PLEASE help me?

Oh, and one more question: if there IS a way to fix my computer, is it possible to fix it without losing any files and programs in the computer?

Please reply ASAP! I really need need the help thnx!

~VampChik_999

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:57 PM

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 VampChik_999

VampChik_999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:39 PM

The thing is, my computer won't even go into the desktop. It would go to the loading screen but then the BSOD would come out. I tried accessing it in Safe Mode but the sreen would come out before I could get into the desktop. Would it still work?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 VampChik_999

VampChik_999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:27 PM

I'll try that. I just need to find the cd first...

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:38 PM

Let me know if you cannot find the CD as there is another way to do this.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 christy1019

christy1019

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:17 PM

hi, I'm also new to the site and have had the same exact problem with my computer and have been unable to resolve after trying every diff resolution ive found on the web. the comp will not go past this blue "stop: c000021a fatal system error" screen even if i try to boot in safe mode, last good config, debugging mode etc.
also, to Budapest, i have searched everywhere and cannot find the windows xp/system restore cds so im hoping u can tell me ur resolution suggestion that could be done w/out the cds. hopefully someone can help me, my phones internet can't do everything i need lol
thanks in advance!

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:04 PM

christy1019

Please start your own (new) thread in the "Windows XP" forum, with details of your system, and what happened/what may have caused the problem, along with any messages that you recall seeing on the screen at that time.

Edit: You may PM me when you have done that, and perhaps we can make some progress then.

Edited by AustrAlien, 19 September 2009 - 10:24 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users