Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Fails to Load

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ilysess

Ilysess

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:06 PM

A couple of days ago, my genius spouse left his laptop once again in a precarious situation sitting on a table near an open window during a rain storm.

Regardless, since this time, not shockingly windows wont load properly and im hoping that someone can offer some advice as I cant afford to pay for a professsional to take a look at it at this time.

When he tries to turn it on as usual, it attempts to load but it freezes on the screen with the green bars about halfway across and never goes anywhere, he did manage to catch a glimpse of an error a couple of times that said:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix this problem insert your windows disk and run repair "etc.

I havent seen it yet so I can t give the exact wording of the end of the statement but it basically says put your disc in and let windows fix itself.

Tried that, it only took about 60 seconds to repair windows supposedly, but it still wont load properly.

I have tried to look this problem up on various forums but there seems to be one major issue that people are encountering that I am not, every account that I have read, noone can get their system to load at all in any mode, I CAN load the system in safe mode and everything works perfectly well, it just wont run in normal mode. This gives me a little bit of hope, if perhaps false lol.

Obviously I suspect that there may be some water damage, but wondering if maybe by some miracle its not damaged hardware since safe mode does still work.

Any advice (other than choke him for being irresponsible :huh: ) would be greatly appreciated.

Specs that I can recall offhand: Toshiba P100 Satellite, Windows Vista Home Premium, no new changes to any hardware or software unless it was an automatic download that we arent aware of yet. If you need anything more specific please let me know and I will try to get what you need.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: finally managed to get a look at the laptop myself and discovered that there was a windows update done 9/3/09 which coincidentally was the night it stopped working so currently trying a system restore to see if that solves the problem (sys restore failed miserably)

Edit: ran chkdsk came up with a couple of errors but didnt catch them in time before it closed, cant get it to run again yet, safe mode hangs on loading

Edited by Ilysess, 06 September 2009 - 01:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users