Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Stop: c0000135 error

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 CommMajor101

CommMajor101

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:03 AM

Hi everyone,
So on my PC I am getting the error "Stop: c0000135 {unable to locate component} This application has failed to start because winsrv was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

I've tried to restart my computer with the Windows XP disk but it doesn't boot from the disk. Is there a specific command I need to type in or key I need to hit to get it to boot from the disk? How else can I fix this error, the directions I've found when doing a Google search are confusing and the article on the Microsoft support section is for computer that have some TV thingy, which mine doesn't (I don't think).

The computer that's having this issue is a Dell desktop.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:32 PM

Hi:).

What application is mentioned?

Have you tried using the Dell repair/recovery options for your system?

Louis

#3 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:26 PM

I don't know what you mean by application. The error message in it's entirety is mentioned above, that's all I know about the error, sorry.

And I don't know how to use the Dell repair/recovery options? How do I do that?

Thanks!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:41 PM

<<How do I do that?>>

I suppose that a logical start would be...reading the documentation that came with the system.

Or visiting the Dell website and looking up the specifics of your system...I'm not sure, I don't own a Dell.

Louis

#5 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:51 PM

Ok, so when I boot from the disk I get to a screen that asks me if I want to Install, go to repair console or exit. I type "r" to go to the repair console. There it asks me Which Windows installation would you like to log into - and 1: C:\WINDOWS is my only option. I type "1" and hit enter then it just says C:\WINDOWS>

What should I type in there? What is it asking me for?

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:34 PM

That's a good start actually.

The WINDOWS folder you see is the C:\Windows folder in XP.

The winsrv file could really be missing, you could have some file system problem or some things Microsoft suggests here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885523

Since you got Recovery Console loaded, go ahead and check the file system by running:

chkdsk /r c:

Let if finish, type exit to leave the RC and the computer should reboot.

Please try to describe what you can remember happening to the system between the time it worked last and the failure.

Power interruption, change of hardware, any Microsoft updates, T.V. Media (TvMedia.tvmbho) from Total Velocity Corporation (as MS suggests), etc.

Do you know what Service Pack is installed on the afflicted machine?

Edited by joseibarra, 12 September 2009 - 04:35 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:47 PM

Honestly, I'm sure everyone says this, but it's true, I was working on my computer one night, turned it off normally and the next morning it wouldn't boot. There weren't any power surges, the electricity didn't go out, and to my knowledge no updates were installed.

Ok, I tried the chkdsk /r c: and restarted and I'm still getting the stop error.

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,238 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:27 AM

Having never actually seen this (only reading), it could be the file winsrv.dll is really missing, corrupt, or the registry is telling XP to look for it in the wrong place. I could not find an "ah-ha, this is it" solution that is palatable.

What is the CD you are booting on now? Is in an XP installation CD or a bootable Recovery Console CD somebody made?

I looked at some boot logs of my XP Pro SP3 system and don't see winsrv.dll being loaded, but it does exist as a file and there are a couple registry references. My experimentation threshold and resources are currently low, but have some ideas if it was me.

The winsrv.dll file should exist in the c:\windows\system32 folder, but it should be in two other places on your system so we can copy one in if it is missing, or replace it to be sure it is not corrupt.

Windows keeps backup copies of some of your important files in the c:\windows\system32\dllcache folder.

When you boot RC you know you are in the C:\WINDOWS folder, so enter:

cd system32

You should now be in the c:\windows\system32 folder.

then enter:

dir winsrv.dll

Is winsrv.dll missing? Make note of the file attributes if it is there.

Now copy one in (even if is not missing) from the dllcache folder by entering:

copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\winsrv.dll

Receive a success message or OK to overwrite message and make the correct choice.

Try booting again. I did verify this doesn't cause any problems (but I don't have your problem).

There should be another copy of winsrv.dll in c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386 in case you care to repeat the replacement process using that copy.

If you do have a bootable XP installation CD, you may have to do a Repair installation of XP and I do not have much experience with that (fortunately). What bootable CDs do you have?

Have you tried booting is Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key before the normal XP loads? If you can enter Safe Mode, you could perhaps perform a System Restore to a day before you had the problem. That would restore (hopefully) any registry corruption that may be causing XP to look in the wrong place.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#9 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:37 AM

Hi Jose,
Thank you so much for your help so far!
First, I am booting from the CD that came with the computer.
Second, I did the steps you mentioned and when I typed in dir winsrv.dll the computer says, "The volume in drive C has no label. The volume Serial Number is [there are some numbers here]-bf1f. Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winsrv.dll 4/13/08 08:12p -a----- [there are some numbers here] winsrv.dll 1 file(s) 293376 bytes 45689942016 bytes free"

What does this mean?

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,238 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:26 PM

That message means it found it (the other numbers and stuff is fine), which is annoying since it looks just like mine.

I would have been more excited if it was not there!

The file could still be corrupted somehow, so why not copy it over from the dllcache and reboot.

Have you tried to boot in Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key just before your system tries to load Windows? Sometimes it is tricky to catch it with the F8, but you would see a different menu with several boot options - various Safe Modes being listed to try.

You would not get this message (or much of anything) if XP was at least not trying/starting to load, so maybe we can get Safe Mode to work before it gets far enough to fail with a normal boot.

If you can boot in Safe Mode, there are more options to explore, so really try to get it to work with that F8 key. You will have to restart the system a few times.

Sounds like you are one of the fortunates ones that has a bootable XP installation CD, so a reinstall is an option, but that gets uglier, and I would rather try to fix this install if possible.

Sometimes these missing or cannot find messages are misleading, so let's think about it a little more and see if other ideas are offered.

If any more experienced BC folks are listening, since RC boots and winsrv.dll exists, what are the thoughts about the approach here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:03 PM

Unless something has transpired that I'm unaware of, a Dell system is considered to be an OEM system.

One of the lines in that MS link indicates that the procedures enumerated...should not be applied to an OEM system.

Actually, I've not come across any instances where anyone resolved this error with that particular message.

I would do a search of the system for any .dmp files, which might shed more light on what the problem might be.

Louis

#12 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:13 PM

I cannot boot in safe mode, I get the same error message. What do you guys think of choosing the "Install" option and then see if after it looks for previous additions it can repair anything instead of going straight in to the repair console?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

I don't have any Dell systems, so I have no idea how the repair/reinstall/recovery options for that system might work.

That is why earlier...I suggested that you review the documentation for your system. How it all works should be detailed by Dell, the options that a user has when things go wrong...are devised by them, not by Microsoft.

Louis

#14 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,238 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:20 AM

If you bought the system with Windows installed instead of building it yourself or having it built you could check your documentation, contact Dell, check their WWW pages for help with this specific problem (somebody there may know exactly what to do).

Since chkdsk seemed to work okay, you could put the drive in another working system as a "slave" drive (like a D drive) and salvage any data, documents, pictures you want and just leave it as a secondary storage device. Nothing on the drive would change, so you could browse it, write to it, etc.

You could create a bootable Knoppix or Ubuntu or other CD and copy any important stuff to a USB device or CD.

Somehow when you get to the point that you believe the drive has nothing on it that you need because you copied it someplace else, and you have nothing to lose you could continue to try to fix it or you could just say it will never boot again, so just reformat it and reinstall Windows.

I would try to get to the "I have nothing to lose" point. Get your data off, then decide what to do next.

Then have the thought that no matter what you do, the drive may become worse than it is now. I like the first part of the MS article even for an OEM system for reasons that are not important right now. That could be just me.

You could try to reinstall Windows and it might become bootable again and your data should still be there somewhere so you might be able to cobble it back togehter.

It could make a dandy extra drive for storage or testing even if it won't boot.

Even if you got it to boot, it would still (to me) always be a little suspicious so before I found it a permanent home, I would reformat it completely.

No matter what you do, if it does fail in some worse way later, you want to be saying "oh well" instead of "oh crap".

Unless there are better ideas.

Edited by joseibarra, 15 September 2009 - 07:25 AM.

#15 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:40 PM

I fixed it by clicking 'install" instead of "repair". Thanks for your time everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users